Era Era Design 5 Bookshelf Speakers

Monitor Speaker

Submitted by SantaCruzPhile a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2008

Bottom Line:
I first listened to the Era Design 5 on the recommendation by Sam Tellig. I had no idea that they would exceed my expectations. In the past, I have used Sonus Faber Grand Pianos, Von Schweikert VR4s and the JBL product line. Era Design 5 are in the run in with all of the products used in my repertoire. They have a smooth midrange and a warm overall presence. Depending on music, they truly shine, I have had great results with classical (highly transparent and lifelike) to Ozzy (crisp highs and smooth fast bass lines).

I use my Era Design 5's with a Sub10, it is necessary to carry the bass frequency down below 50 hz. I run the Sub10 at 42hz with the best results. The sub is amazing too, it disappears in the soundstage.

Era Design use silk woofer and are well matched with bright gear however, I run them with transparent and warm sounding equipment. I run them with an Atoll Electronique AM200 and Atoll PR100 with an amazing result. The high and lows are smooth and precise, even on my old grateful dead masters, the Era's smooth out the roughness of recording.
An added note, Era's are true audiophile speakers and will reveal inferior equipment. I recommend Stereophile Class "A" sources and at least 100w per channel to drive them efficiently.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by uback007 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
Just picked up a pair of these after sellng a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's v.3's
Originally went in to look at B&W 704, which were priced at, I believe $2500, ended up doing an A-B comparison and was so blow away at this speaker that I bought them. Natural wood veneers, I got the Rosewood and they look a lot better than the fake cherry laminate that the Paradigm's had.
Michael Kelly from Aerial Acoustics fame designed these speakers as an in-house brand for Signal Path International, the US distributor for Musical Fidelity.

I would EASILY put this speaker up against ANY bookshelf speaker I have heard under 3K (and I have heard quite a few)
I will tell you that they are not the most sensitive speakers on the market and they demand a good, hearty power source driving them -at least 75 watts. You will be rewarded with very clean sound, neutral in it's presentation with an overall finesse that bellies anything in this price range.
I whole heartedly recommend them.
Check them out.