Epos Acoustics M5
Description: <ul> <li>2-way bass reflex design speaker</li> <li>137.5mm woofer</li> <li>Power Handling 100 Watt</li> <li>Frequency Response 60 Hz - 20 kHz</li> <li>Impedance 4 Ohm nominal</li> <li>87dB/1W/1m</li> <li>Amplifier Compatibility 25 - 100 Watt</li> </ul>

Submitted by Merid a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2013

Bottom Line:
These are BBC monitors with a bit more lively sound than usual. They also demonstrate incredibly tight bass, winning out over some pretty decent floor standers I own that don't PRAT nearly as well. Certainly a great deal on the used market, even years after introduction. Better tweeter integration than the new Epos models. They need to back to metal dome which was/is IMO ironically much smoother than their current soft dome.

Submitted by Pat a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2013

Bottom Line:
Incredibele. Better than new Epos mini monitors. Imaging is uncanny. As good as any with vocals. May want subwoofer.

Submitted by Bryan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2010

Bottom Line:
these speakers take a lot of running in, a couple of months of easy listening, and then some. They start out thin, and lispy, but fill in very well over time. Driven with 80-100 watts, they are able to handle loud passages very well, with startling dynamics. They need a bit of current to get them going. They are not boxy, but output below 80 Hz is from the port, and sounds very false.

I'm going to use them as my main midrange sources, augmenting with a ribbon tweeter and triple drive unit bass bins.

For what they do, they do it very well. Place on good heavy stands, decent thick cables and away from walls, and they produce an excelent result. Don't audition a new pair, though!

Submitted by P.G. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2007

Bottom Line:
I was not looking at this speakers I was thinking more like the BW 685, I arrange a sounding at superfi and the salesman suggested I try this little epos M5 speakers as well. The BW had been run in and the Epos were straight out of the box, that said the little epos sounded very clear. The mid range left the BW standing and the bass for such a small speaker was very good.
Needless to say I got the epoe.
These speaker have got better and better as time has gone on. It took about 100 hour to run-in and settle down, but well worth the wait.

Purchased At:   Superfi

Submitted by Peter Kuntz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
I've had this speaker in my bookshelf system for more than 1 year and finally got around to writing a review. First, I should mention that I listen near field, with the speakers located on a bookshelf (fortunately without a shelf above them). As such they are located close to the rear walls (about 4-5 inches away). So bass quality will be compromised and the worse outcome for me would be boomy bass.
Sound quality: The bass is not boomy; midrange and treble are clear. Due to the minimal crossover network I can hear midrange details that can get lost in more complicated speakers. In my setup I don't hear much of a soundstage but that's largely due to my setup. I've found them easy to drive---I've used a Pathos integrated amp, a NAD 325bee and others. Overall I find the sound neutral, revealing and do most things I expect from a speaker of this cost and my particular setup. The result is that I can focus on the music. Highly recommended!