Energy Speaker Systems C-3 Bookshelf Speakers

4.67/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $499.99

Connoisseur Bookshelf Speakers

Submitted by Phasecorrect a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2016

Bottom Line:
It has been roughly 15 years since the C-3 was introduced, and in some respects, it is still a landmark product. The Soundstage review highlighted the speakers greatest asset: a highly detailed yet refined treble reproduction. In many respects it is still all these years later a class leading product on that regard. I was less impressed as the music dipped in frequency. As noted, the soundstaging abilities are good but nothing remarkable in this regard. Sound rarely gets outside of the speakers. However, the sound is very good as well as instrument imaging. I felt the midrange could have used some more realism. That is, it sounded a bit flat and forward, and lacked the "reach out and touch" 3d nature of more pricey Loudspeakers. The biggest let down is the bass reproduction. At times the bass sounded a bit tubby and overly warm, as well.as lacking in definition. It wasn't horrible. More distracting in nature. In sum, I am not in love with the speaker as others are. I still think it's a very good, well engineered product , that becomes even more attractive on the second hand market.

Submitted by wellingm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2011

Bottom Line:
These are some solid speakers. I bought them used on a-gon for $250 and couldn't be happier. I'm using them as near-field monitors, feeding them 110w through an early 2000's Marantz...and they sound awesome coupled with a modest sub. The only thing is that they are super picky about placement (weird, seeing as how they're front-ported). It took me a while to figure out how to get them set up right, but after an hour or two of trial and error, I ended up putting them slightly above ear height, 5 or so feet apart, toed in (typical near-field setup; I just increased the elevation a bit). I've found that if you put them too low, they sound tinny and thin, but as long as the center of the woofer is at or above the height of your ears in your listening chair, they'll be extremely rewarding. Pretty much everything that everybody else said is true about the sound--it is that good.

I only gave them a 4 because if money didn't matter, I would have bought a pair of Viennas. Let's be real here, they're damn good, even for $500 retail, but they're not Sonus Fabers.

My decision was between the following pairs on a-gon:

B&W DM602s3
Vienna Haydns
Monitor Bronze S2
Energy C-3s

They all cost between $250 and $400, and I had the money to buy whichever pair I wanted. I opted for the Energys.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by kevykev a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
I had been listening to speakers all over town, looking for a high quality bookshelf speaker. I have a small living room and the speakers will be used for 2 channel stereo. I chose the Energy speakers based on the great sound, and found them for a great price on Ebay. I highly recommend the Polk's and PSB as well, but both were on the high end of my $500 budget that I set aside. I picked up the stands for $75 bucks and still paid less than I would have for the others. When shopping for speakers, I took 4 CD's, Diana Krall's "Love Scenes" Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" Beck, and a live Grant Green CD. The three speakers mentioned above were able to capture this diverse group of music. I'm driving the speakers with an old B&K ST-140 amplifier.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by warpdrive a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2004

Bottom Line:
The Energy C-series has been a longtime favorite of my budget audiophiles. These are no nonsense speakers, a good cabinet with the custom designed drivers using the knowledge gained from their own high end speakers, and a simple philosophy of wide flat frequency response. No frills here, just solid engineering.

These are the speakers that bridge the gap between the entry level HTIB speaker sets, and true high end speakers. This series has modest two way bookshelf speakers to full range tower speakers. The C-3 incorporates the well regarded Energy aluminum done crossed over at a low 2Khz, to a 6.5 inch woofer with design elements shared with their high end Veritas high end line.

The sound of these speakers is really something else. Clarity is their main characteristic. They aren't laid back, and they sound lively whether playing jazz or really rocking with low bass lines from a typically Madonna CD. The tightness of the bass is really a big plus here, the cabinet really keeps check on the bass from getting too tubby, and the midrange is nice and full, the vocals really have a lot of presense. I did notice a bit of coarseness and graininess on some CD's, but it's nothing objectionable. In fact, when I first listened to these, I had listened to some other pretty impressive speakers, Paradigm Studio 20/40, B&W 704/705, Energy Veritas 2.2, and I was surprised that the C-3 wasn't completely embarrassing after all that impressive company. While those other speakers did sound better in some respects, the fact that I liked the C-3's shows that these C-3's really are good. In fact, I had originally setting on the Paradigm Studio 20 which are 50% more costly, but the Energy's had a nicer fuller midrange, and was much cheaper made me sway toward the C-3's (the 20's did have a nicer bass to them, but the C-3's are no slouch in this department)

Purchased At:   Audioshop

Submitted by magoo47cricket a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a special performance in my room. I did audition a few spekers before i got these. They are no doubt great value for money. Now the important thing is that you have to feed them with good power if you want to really make them sing. I am runnin them off the NAD c320 bee which is 50 x 2 but really its not as other people who have used NAD products would know. In real terms they would be about 80 or 90 Watts. NAD runs them pretty well...but if you can get a better amp do that ....i tried a parasound HCA 1000 A which is a 125 x 2 power amp and that amp really did show what the c 3 is capable of.
If you do have a bit more money do audition Dynaudio audience 42 or 52 they are a bit pricey but they r really amazing apeakers.

Purchased At:   Sydney hifi