Dynaudio DM 2/8 Bookshelf Speakers

• Box Principle: 2-way, bass-reflex
  • Crossover Frequencies: 2300 Hz

Submitted by audiosnore a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2012

Bottom Line:
Decided to weigh in on these speakers since I have read enough on message boards and general inquiry. The 2/8's, as do most Dyn's, take a long time to break in, and I think I've reached that point, finally-after three months of owning them. In my set up, on a decent pair of sand loaded stands, these speakers seem somewhat neutral, with a good amount bass emphasis and dynamic interplay factored in. They sound perfectly happy at higher volume levels, with just a touch of boominess (which I have to attribute to my room-with the port bungs in, this is generally reduced). As others have mentioned, these speakers are at home playing rock, but I have found them willing to play most any type of music, with a fair amount of transparency and realism. Generally, in this set up, the 2/8's have remained revealing of what is thrown at them (trashier sounding discs and lps sounded typically worse than ones that were recorded well, which may always be the case).

My only real complaint about the 2/8's was that on occasion, at certain volume levels, the sound seems a touch trapped in. Again, this may be more of a complaint about my actual room, which is a touch small, than a gripe with the speakers themselves. I listened to comparatively priced speakers in showrooms, and I think the 2/8's remain a pretty good value at this price point. I didn't really feel like spending a ton, and the Dyn's represent a good value to me (still less than the 140's used, and far less than the X16 or X12 new).

Product model year:   2009