Boston Acoustics CR-67 Bookshelf Speakers

• ¾" Kortec soft dome tweeter
  • MagnaGuard magnetic shielding

Submitted by kelik22 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
i like them. for their size they are smooth and rich sounding,i have some older boston CR6s that are even better, but when i saw these at a clearence sale for 75 bucks i jumped on it. although made well, not as good as older models when made in the USA. i use these with an older 1970s MARANTZ receiver in my garage and they sound so smooth when matched with this kind of receiver, some friends swear i have a small sub hidden somewhere. when used with my DENON receiver, not as smooth, almost harsh sometimes, so watch matching to a "bright" receiver. i have always like the "boston sound" .

Purchased At:   magnolias

Submitted by Nautico2000 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2007

Bottom Line:
Good speakers: small footprint, elegant, and compact. Well built and very musical, especially on dynamics and timber. These are very good speakers for small spaces, but they should fill small/medium size rooms well, with fine sound quality. The soundstage is good and the speakers create a believable three-dimensional listening area, where you can "feel" the location of instruments and voices. Vocals sound natural and effortless.

The CR67s are not extremely analytical speakers and may not reveal all inner details of a recording (especially the lower frequencies), but what they reveal, they do so very well, with a nice balance of high, medium, and low frequencies.

The CR67s actually "sing" the music, which makes them great, for example, for chamber music (see my comments below), a characteristic they share with a number of other mini monitors. I compared the CR67s to Infinity Beta 10s and Alpha 20s from other stereo systems I own. I found the Bostons comparable to the Alpha 20s, but being more balanced and more musical. The Infinitys Beta 10s are more analytical, more powerful, present more details, but, sometimes, I find the Bostons to be more musical. Thus, I find myself preferring them when listening to certain types of music, such as jazz, vocals, or chamber classical.

I have not tested the Bostons as home theater speakers, but, I suppose, they are good for movies as well. At discount price, the CR67s are a very good buy. At full price, there is fierce competition in the $200-300 bookshelf speaker range, but the Bostons are great contenders and should definitely be considered, especially because they are available at places like Circuit City. This means you can actually go to the store and listen to them, which, sadly, is a relatively rare privilege nowadays. I had not owned Bostons before, so the CR67s have been a good surprise. Recommended.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Adlai Grayson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
I got these speakers for my mains in my bed room. I use the Denon DRA 37, for the brains of my system. I also added the Rotel RB 1070 to power the CR 67s. Complete with a velodyne VRP 10 subwoofer. The cables are from "Transparent".

These 67s really kick, they are very, very musical, punchy, and tight. This system rivals rigs costing as much as $5,000.00.

Purchased At:   circultcity

Submitted by Golfncop a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2007

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased these BA CR67 speakers on ebay for $120 at that price and after reading the two reviews here I thought I couldnt possibly go wrong. WOW !! I am not an audiophile and at 48 I am sure my hearing isnt what it used to be but I am truly amazed at the sound these little crates produce.
Amazingly open sound for such a small box and even though they are not even close to be broken in I am very impressed by the sonic clarity they produce.
I have been listening to a variety of music on these and with the exception of the deep bass these just sing. Very easy to listen to. I am amazed because I have my classic Marantz amp and preamp out for a refurb so I am listening through a JVC HT receiver and an old SOny CD player nothing special. I cant wait till the Marantz and B&O turntable are hooked up. I have these BA'S just sitting on top of my Klipsch towers and I have to double check to make sure which speakers are playing. If I close my eyes I really cant tell where the speakers are the sound stage is that open. Again I am not an audiophile I just love listening to music. These are rear ported and when cranked up push alot of air. These would terrific in a HT application as well, I am probably going to put these in my office which was my original intention but they are much better than simply background music speakers.

These are a deal at $120 a pair and are still available on ebay. I am sure with a sub these would sound that much better. If you pick these up you will not be disappointed!!

Submitted by swerv a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2006

Bottom Line:
I took about 45 minutes with the alphas putting them through their paces, and was about to move on without even hearing the BA’s I was then asked by a very polite- not pushy salesman if I wanted to listen to the similarly priced BA’s they just got in. ( apparently a new model here around 1 month old ) Having some doubts and biases I was given the room and the time to put them through their paces and compare them to the alphas. With the switchbox in hand for the various lineups from a couple manufacturers including some KEF QX1’s (bookshelves no larger than the infinity primus 150s) which retailed for $3599 (on sale for $1999 with stands) As well as some higher model BA and PSB. The Revel Performa M22’s just under $3000 (unfortunately they and the B15 were in another room but what a beauty that sub is.)

And thus it began,

Playing Cirque du soleil Alegria again… I was listening and it did not take but 5 seconds for me to examine which speaker I was listening too they disappeared in the room and what I heard was sweet sweet sound. I moved around the room about – the off axis performance was very good and they sounded great up close ( going to be important to me since I’ll have them pretty close using them on my pc rig.) First Its hard for me right now especially after making this purchase to not hype these like crazy – as much as I wan’t to so I will point out their faults and weaknesses right off the start.

After listening to them for a while and switching back the alphas it might be come apparent that their soundstage while good- is not as “wide” as one would hope. They seemed to come across as a smaller speaker missing some of the upper bass extension that other sets had – including the alphas. Some of the low level details in the bass were simply unheard and not reproduced in Alegria then again any setup that’s not full range or does not have a sub fell short as well as the recording extends to the low 20’s. The Ba’s could be pushed and handled themselves quite well especially considering their size – but began to show compression as did the alphas when the more complex passages in Alegria came up. They lacked the effortless dynamic range of a large speaker and if to be used separately I would strongly recommend mateing a solid sub as they dropped rapidly after 65-70hz.

Now I simply must say that these shortcomings / criticisms do not go unnoticed however their strengths certainly more than make up for it. So now on to what I really thought of these little speakers…

Starting from the very beginning what I heard was a very character free sound. Incredibly natural and precise. Although having somewhat of a narrower soundstage, the sound was incredibly open and rich, and did not sound “flat and constricted” like it did on the psb’s. Switching back and forth between the alphas and the BA’s left me astonished, simply put it was like I was listening to some pretty good sounding speakers which had a large sheet of Plexiglas the size of a wall in front of me then lifting that sheet out and hearing the true sound. The BA’s had the ability to articulate subtle imaging effects which I had only heard with very expensive systems including the Linn setup I had heard earlier. This differentiated them to being a great speaker rather than one that is merely very good. The CR67’s renditions of depth in the soundstage varied but on the whole was pretty good only bested by some larger more expensive speakers.

I found it refreshing to switch back and forth as I began playing the same tracks as I had played earlier. It was like wearing some heavy duty sunglasses indoors with low light then taking them off. The midrange is definitely this systems strong point. On the track Mark Knofler – Sailing to Philadelphia, the vocals were produced very naturally and clean. The vocals had a holographic dimension of realism only found in the more expensive revels and Linns I auditioned. They did not even have a hint of coloration. I kept shaking my head in amazement as I continued to listen. They were clearly on a whole different level than the alphas which were simply out of their league. And the alphas would certainly not be the only ones to join those ranks.

Moving backwards to the Bass, although it lacked, what it had sounded clean and free of any restraints. Its attack and decay was excellent not too much to say here, obviously deep bass is its weakness but the bass it did have was very good and had great low level dynamics.

In the High end the tweeter appeared of very high quality upon further inspection. It produced a slightly forward sound but it was “clean” in nature and at the same time airy and very pleasant sounding. Up here the octaves were as character free as the midrange. Everything was produced very well. The tweeter would amaze me even more later on when it showed its ability to handle very complex passages and layer the music very nicely.

Continuing to put them through their paces I got more impressed as the tests went on. It was amazing to hear the differences between the two sets. At this point I was feeling bold and thought I would compare them to some PSB Image 25’s which were much more expensive.- Again left in the dust where the BA’s shined… Comparing them to some floor standers priced 3 to 4 times as much noticeable things like compression became apparent in the smaller speakers – when played back very loudly. They also had a bit of difficult ability masking their true size without a subwoofer to carry them on the lower octaves. However the midrange resolution and articulation was not matched by any speaker in that showroom. Even the more expensive BA towers and the model up in the bookshelf which had a larger cabinet and woofer did not match the musicality of the CR67s. I will also add that while I’m not a large fan of KEF, even comparing them to the KEF QX-1’s which were being sold reg($3999w/stands for $1999) that’s 2 grand for a pair of bookshelves, they were simply bested with ease- and in comparison had a very colored high range reproduction and vocals were also very colored in comparison and had a plastic feel to them. To put it simply, where the CR67’s absolutely shine is R.E.S.O.L.U.T.I.O.N. One must give these an audition if given the chance.

On to the most complex passage that I’ve only heard produced properly by the larger and more expensive revel and linn setups- enter P. I. Tchaikovsky - CSO - 1812 Overture. I was falling in love with these but realized I had many more speakers to audition, a quick fast forward to the last 6 min of the recording Again as expected by now the instruments were incredibly layered and had incredible resolution. For the most difficult part the bells, which if reproduced properly sound like the layering of over 2 dozen different bells going off, done poorly it simply sounds like noise, like it does on the ultra sats and even other bookshelves in the room struggled desperately to not loose their composure. The CR67’s handled them very well impressively- while still sounding compressed it was not so much a noise as on other systems but a quite good rendition of the larger expensive linn and revel setups.

Let me just say that I came out of that room scratching my head and the guy I’d talked to had a grin on his face – he knew – he frigging new that I would love them and he was right. We talked about their strengths for a good 20 minutes then I left the shop. Today I had gained a new respect for Boston – this magnificent little speaker is a gem and cannot go without an audition. I simply can not wait for stereophile or a respectable magazine to review them and be as astounded as I am. For Canadians, at $250 – 350 these are a Steal. At twice that price, they are still a bargain. Hearing is believing!

Purchased At:   local shop