Bose 301 Series IV Bookshelf Speakers

3.29/5 (200 Reviews) MSRP : $350.00

2-Way Bookshelf Speaker - 8" Woofer and 3" and 2" Tweeters

Submitted by althaf a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2011

Bottom Line:
the best speaker i ever hear

Submitted by joeri a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've had these speakers for 12 years and as I write this review I am still listening to them. In the years that followed my purchase I've bought two more speaker sets and amps. I first hooked these up to a Marantz PM45.
But 3 years later I replaced it with a NAD C 320. I also replaced the Bose speakers with a set of KEF cresta 2's. Recently I unpacked them and hooked them up again with the NAD using QED cable.
Like many other people I agree that the construction is the real weakness of this set. You can buy a set of Wharfedale speakers for less with a better look than these. But after 9 years of listening to Kef and my latest set of ProAc tablette ref 8 speakers I must say they still sound pretty good. The sound is spacious wich is the reason why these speakers have this particular design. I have to place them correctly to get the sound right but after all this time I'm still happy that I didn't throw them away. I'm curious though If I hooked them up to an amp with a little more power than the NAD what the result would be. I think that you can get great sound out of many speakers if you find the right combination. In one of the issues of What Hifi from last year they compared several bargain sets including a set of cambridge electronics and speakers and a NAD setup with Q acoustics speakers. On paper the cambridge set had a great individual score. But in practice they were not up to the NAD/Q acoustics set wich had a lesser individual score.
So before you upgrade your set take your favourite cd's to the store, make sure you can listen to the same set you have at home and start comparing.
And now let's enjoy some Mahler. before I go to bed.

Submitted by Terri a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have had these speakers for several years on either side of my fireplace on a book shelf in a 15 X 20 room, connected to an Onkyp receiver. I would buy them again. they have been perfect, no weird buzz or vibration when played loud-unless someone puts something on top of them, and very nice bass. 3.5

Submitted by Bozack a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2008

Bottom Line:
The Bose 301 Series are some of the best sounding speakers I've ever heard. The key is having a decent (50w or more) power source.Sure there's better, but who cares? Listen, I drive a Lexus LS430. My best friend drives a Honda Accord. Sure, he can also afford to buy a Lexus, but he's happy with his Accord. Therefore, who am I to differ. He's happy and so am I. So, if you're buying whatever, and your whatever looks and sounds good to you, then screw what everyone else says. Whether it's a Misson, Paridigm, PSB, Enegry or whatever. Besides, not everyone listens and hears the same. I have an Audiophile magazine article of a millionaire who owns a pair of Marten Coltrane speakers that cost him $40k each. Now I'm sure they sound good to him because of what he paid. But let's say you or I went and listened to them, and they sound like crap. Or if we compared the sound to a set of Polks. The owner would go nuts! He'd say, you idiots have no idea what you're hearing. These speakers cost $40,000!!! However, regardless of what he paid for them, we gave him our opinion of what we heard. You see what I'm saying!? Anyway, I have my 301's hooked to my HK-Avr 240, and the sound is excellent. Both musically (CD) and during movies. The bass is very responsive and the highs are silky smooth. The only problem I have with Bose, is their cabinetry. It could be better. However, if utilizing wood veneer keeps the cost low, then so be it.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Oriole33 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
Keep in mind that the 301's can be picked up for $100 used/pair or less. And keep in mind what these speakers were designed to do. With that said, there should be NO complaints! They are great as bookshelf speakers. If you choose to use them as your main speakers in a big room- then you are misusing them.
I use them in my bedroom hooked up through cable TV, CD, and DVD. Mated to a 90's Onkyo TX-906 (85W per channel @ 8 ohms). I use a Kenwood subwoofer tied into the Onkyo, but I hardly ever hear it unless I'm running a DVD.
When I first hooked up the 301's to my TV, I was running RCA cable from the TV to the RCVR after the cableTV input Left &Right sounc channels had already gone through the television's circuitry. STUPID! At the time I wondered why my 301's sounded good with a CD source playing and just so-so while listening to cable.
So, I ran 2 RCA cords directly from my cable receiver to the Onkyo, bypassing the TV....and the sound is 3x better! Now the 301's FILL the room with sound and if I watch something like "Flight of the Conchords" on HBO, I get fantastic stereo separation and dynamic sound.
These speakers take on completely different characteristics depending on how much current is fed to them from the Rcvr and where they are placed in the room.
I run them in an 11x12 room and sit the 301's about 10 inches from the far corner's left and right edges and leave same from the back wall. Since these are smaller-sized speakers AND reflecting speakers, keeping them close to the wall really helpes their bass. Be sure to lean the speakers so that their relecting side will bouce off the side wall and carom towards your back wall (behind your head).
Use these speakers in a smaller room, and don't be afraid to crank your RCVR volume knob to about 35% and you will LOVE these speakers. Also, don't use cheap receiver watts for these....use at least 50W/channel of REAL power. Not, Sony or Pioneer.

Purchased At:   AAFES