Bose 141 Bookshelf Speakers

3.31/5 (42 Reviews) MSRP : $99.99

These bookshelf speakers offer renowned Bose sound at an affordable price. Bose 141 speakers deliver high-fidelity sound you'd expect from much larger, more expensive speakers. And their compact, classic styling helps them blend easily into any decor. Each speaker features a patented StarDriver full-range driver, delivers clear, crisp highs and deep, full bass. In addition, special slot port tuning helps deliver full, accurate sound. You can use 141 speakers as your main speakers, extension spea

Submitted by Small Cage a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2010

Bottom Line:
Good grief - we get these speakers home - 40 miles from retailer - and open box and open instructions and on page 3 find that they require an additional supply and purchase of 2-conductor wire... not noted on outside of box and not supplied - for the price they could have thrown in a supply... are we supposed to stand in the store and open the box and read the instructions to make sure no other supplies are needed ? idiots...

Submitted by plozr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have just bought the very small speakers and have found that they sound better than other speakers of there size. I paid $ 99 for then at bj's. I own studio monitors at the same price and these sound better. I have owned and listened to many polk audio modals and for a single 4" driver they are better sounding. It was hard to find anything for $100 and as small that was even close. they recreate the sound stage very very well. The lower mids are very realistic. The lower bass is tight and clear, I play a five string bass and i know what a low b sounds like. the cymbals are are metallic sounding with a nice shimmer to them. All and all my favorite speaker to enjoy many different styles of music. Just a note about music reproduction and acoustics, it is a science. It does mean more that just numbers on a piece of paper. The way we hear things plays in the way driver shapes are designed. I know this because all instruments sounds different. No two five sting basses sound the same even the same model. I found these speakers to be very close to what i want a performance to sound like. What else is there?

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by mconn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have two pair, each connected to a home made sub, in the workout room and sewing room. With the help of a SW the 141's sound very smooth indeed and very listenable over extende periods to my old ears. Tweek the treble a bit and expect them to be beamy and not spray the sound like other Bose products and for the money, they are my favorite and most used speakers. Great on vocals with radio and background music. Everything inteligible at low volumes, can't say that about all speakers this cheap. They will play much louder than you would expect with clarity.

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by deejmic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought these several years ago while on a tight budget, to round out my Bose system. I already had the 301's and the VCS 10 center channel. At the time, I just wanted to have a matching set of Bose all the way around. For the last 8 years, this speaker set-up has served me well. The 301's have played well for the $300 they cost me, the center I purchased for $50.00 from my cousin and the other $90.00 was spent on the 141's. For less than $450.00, I had a very nice first surround system/home theater. Now.... I've outgrown them and yes, even though I dont bash Bose, after listening to some real speakers for probably twice what I've paid for these... I'm convinced that I'm ready for something better. Bose isnt bad, not for the price. But believe it... they are not a high end speaker manufacturer. Materials they use are cheap, lots of plastics, paper cones, and subpar cabinets. They tweak the sound by way of crossover and cap manipulation, which isnt necessarily a bad thing, but there is so much compensation going on for shoddy materials, that you dont get full frequency response. Like I said, I'm not ripping them. They have there market and appeal to a particular crowd and I really enjoyed my Bose experience, but when you outgrow yours and decide that you have the ways and means (money) Go audition the next level up.... Polk, Klispch, Boston Acoustics, KEF, Definitive Technology... and run them through the paces. For an audiophile, the difference is night and day. So if you cant tell a difference between a quality speaker system and an entry level system, stay with Bose, they are decent and sound o.k....but if you can.... well, you know what to do.
BTW... my 141's are power hungry, inefficient and rather "flat" also. But for $90.00 that's what I would expect. They're great for surrounds or background bedroom speakers, or for a garage... and that's where there usefullness ends.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by tiger1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
First off let me tell you that there are better speakers out there, but for the money these are the best bookshelf speakers you can buy. Period. Don't let the puny one little 4.5" driver fool you, these speakers can produce plenty of bass and treble for a small room. Here's is where most people get tricked though. You must turn up the bass and the treble on your amp to get satisfying sound out of the 141s. I know, I know the audioplies out there are screaming that you shouldn't mess with the tone controls for a good speaker. However, these speakers really do require you to boost the bass and the treble. Then they start to sound more natural. Also, you must have an amp with enough power. My 60x5 Denon doesn't cut it. It was only when I used my 120x5 amp that the speakers really came alive. Don't get me wrong, these are not audiophile speakers, but you would have to spend $200-$300 to get the same or better sound. So if you are looking to fill a bedroom or office space with clean sound on a budget get these speakers if you can find them. They have been discontinued, but you can find them at a few of the Bose stores or online.

Purchased At:   Bose outlet