Bose 100 Bookshelf Speakers

3.23/5 (40 Reviews) MSRP : $220.00

Bookshelf Speaker

Submitted by Anton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2017

Bottom Line:
These now trusty and yellowed old speakers were my first "good" computer speakers, bought as they faced up slightly. They have played almost everyday since then attached to a Jukebox type thing. Sound is comfortable, well rounded and balanced though there is some slight plastic box sound. Good for listening to any music, they rarely harmonic and the clarity is good without being too bright, nice mids in particular with good bass, not heavy but good tight bass for the size. One of those purchases that has stood the test of time despite the canary appearance now.
I have much nicer setups now with various types of speakers and amps ranging in age from Leak and Plinus to Canton and Tripath but these still aound "good" after many many years. Well made little drivers too and no foam means no rot.

Submitted by Bert Fripont a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2016

Bottom Line:
I have been using these Bose 100-speakers for maybe over 10 years.
I am actually pritty satisfied with these. I use them as computerspeakers.

I do not remember how much I paid for such a pair (I thought 200-250 Bucks).

Sound: The bass is lacking, but normal for such rather small speakers.
The mids and highs are very well presented, nothing excentuated or harsh-sounding.
There is nothing special about the mids and highs. They deliver what they should be doing.
The soundstage however is simply spectacular! Impeccable! I cannot describe how good the soundstage is. I really enjoy them.

On the other hand if you place these speakers too close to each other, the soundstage will be less good. If you want the best results/soundeffects, just place them a little further from each other (approx. 70cm). By high-quality recordings there is not only a very good stereo-separation but also a good image or depth.
These are also very detailed.

These speakers are connected to a Lepai Stereo Class Amp.
For my best taste I equalized the bass a bit down. The bass sounded a little bloated at normal position. I also equaliized the treble up in order to get more high frequencies.

So all in all, these do a spectacular job for me, I understand not everyone is satisfied about this product. If you are looking for bass-heavy speakers, just look elsewhere.

So, are they whorth the price? For me yes, defenitly they are.

Submitted by bosevictim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2006

Bottom Line:
I used to own this speakers, i had the 201 and 301 also. I thought i got the high-end speakers because i got BOSE until i saw a Boston acoustics A40 in a thrift store selling for $10, i bought it out of curiosity. When i hooked it up i was amazed to hear details that i never heard from my BOSE speakers, that's when i started to auditon speakers before buying them or at least do a research.

I'm surprised to see some reviewers here that claim they own klipsch, paradigm, B&W, infinity, polk, jbl, Boston acoustics and yet they give good rating to BOSE speakers. I don't know how they can even compare BOSE to the speakers I've mentioned above, either they are tone deaf or they are lying about having owned the speakers above, even the $30 RCA speakers produces more details than BOSE!

Submitted by Frogman11 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2006

Bottom Line:
To all that are thinking that Bose are the best, or even think that they make a good system or speaker. Please believe me when I say the lifestyle system is garbage. The speakers are very inadequate. I was suckered by name brand and hip. If I did my research I would of discovered that bose makes junk and doesn't back up there product. I have spent 100s trying to get this system to sound good. I have hired experts to see if I was doing somthing wrong. I have it set up correct since day 1. Its just that Bose makes a bad product. Bose is a low end quality product. That has a purpose in the low end market and should sell for $100 for the entire system. If anyone disagrees e-mail me and I will sell my system for a fraction of what I paid for it. I would actually give them 0 stars. But 1 was as low as they will go

Purchased At:   CC

Submitted by donbagley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2006

Bottom Line:
Wow! Some people really like to slam Bose. I bought three Bose 100s from ebay for about 40 bucks a piece. There's no beating these little speakers for the price, friends. I use mine for surround and center and they work fine. I'll have to spend quite a bit more when I upgrade.

The 100s don't produce much bass or upper treble, but they get the mids right. They blend right in with other speakers(I'm using Boston towers for the mains).

Don't hesitate to purchase these because some self-labled Bose-bashers curse them. These are smooth sounding, limited-use speakers. Just because Bose brags about its mediocre table radios doesn't meen the company makes no quality products. I consider the 100s to be a triumph in minimalist audio, both in pricing and physical dimension.