B.I.C. America DV62si
Description: Top-notch components yield a stunningly accurate bookshelf-size speaker! Custom designed 3/4 tweeter delivers crystal-clean undistorted upper mid and high frequencies. The 6 poly/graphite woofer is light yet rigid for tight, accurate extended bass. Rear-enclosure patented Venturi vent further extends deep low frequency performance. It is ideal for use with all surround and music formats.

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have been into stereo for, let's just say a very long time. I have owned many different speakers over the years. My JBL 4311s were about my favorite that I ever owned. More recently I had some Infinity large bookshelfs. On a whim and because they were so cheap and people were raving about them I ordered a set of these DV62si bookshelf. I paid less than $120 shipped for the pair. I was amazed by the clarity so mcuh so that I packed up the Infinitys and began using the BICs for my mains with a sub.

The clarity was nice but I began to notice the highs were on the piercing side. That's when I heard about the mod Ed was doing so I sent my crossovers off to him. The highs were reduced by the mod but the overall sound character was terrible. Not really satisfied with either the modded or the unmodded version I decided to try my own hand at tuning the little BICs in. It took quite a long time to get the mod to where I have it now but suffice it to say the realism is amazing especially for a speaker that costs so little.

Submitted by Ralph Colao a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have been a musician for over 40 years and have had some very high end audio components over the years. At my age I was looking for something smaller to fit in a more compact space. I was also looking for a relatively inexpensive speaker pair, since I still play in a band and don't need the overpowering stereo anymore. I searched for days reading reviews and comparing features. I was concerned about frequency range in bookshelf speakers and really didn't want to deal with a subwoofer. These speakers are all that was advertized. Right out of the box, the sound is great. Since I'm a drummer, and a bit older, my high frequency loss leaves me hearing mostly dull high ends, but not with these. I read that they were too bright, but I don't see that. I was mostly concerned with the low end. It delivers just fine...tight low end and more than I really expected. Placement does make a big difference, so take some time to place to get the best bass response. I am using a Gemini PA-7000 preamp & a Samson S500 amp. I will be using a dbx 1215 EQ as soon as I install. I have to admit, I added a pair of Cambridge satellite speaklers to enhance the high end. I had them and just added. With this set up, I am completely satisfied with the frequency range, response and power.

Submitted by Torbjorn a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
Not sure what year I had. I gutted them and put in other parts and new porting. These speakers are crap. First, the woofer has no resolution. And the woofer is already loud around 250 Hz, but the way they designed the porting it makes the mid base even louder, bizarre. The tweeter is bad on its own but the crossover makes it crap out totally and destroy the listening experience. There is a big drop between 3 to 5 k Hz and above that the volume of the tweeter picks holes in your ear drums. The way to go with these is to dump them in the nearest dumpster. If you can't afford to upgrade, tilt the speakers back about 30 degrees, tweeter away from you, to kill the top end of the tweeter and put sock in the porting holes. A horrible product. There is no need to expose yourself any further. Out in the country you can target shoot at them. Go get your Magnum. Now.

Submitted by G-Midd a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2011

Bottom Line:
First off, I can't necessarily label myself an audiophile per se. I do love good sound and have had a fair share of high end equipment over time including McIntosh gear; but, lately, my entire direction in stereo is to get the sweetest sounding rigs with the absolute minimal outlay -- it's a hobby for me and I really enjoy seeing what can be had for a few hundred or more. My search for a decent bookshelf with a decent frequency range lead me to BIC DV62si speakers.

I would seriously recommend that these speakers only be purchased only if you intend to have Ed Frias modify the crossovers. When I received the speakers, I was expecting something special based on the reviews of people who like the un-modded version. I hooked them up to a Dayton DTA-100a T-Amp, so I expected a certain warm to the sound. I found the highs to be excessively bright with little or no warmth to the mid-range and no bottom end. I really felt like I had wasted $100.00 or so. I'll put it bluntly, the speakers, to me, were not listenable. So, I pulled out the crossovers and sent them to Ed (a great guy to deal with, by the way) and in just a matter of days they arrived. I installed them, hooked up the speakers and -- WOW!!! It was like having all new speakers. The highs were not as harsh, the mid-range was glorious and the bass (while not wall thumping) was perfect enough for the type of music I listen to. The sound-stage is now wide with great instrument placement and voices (particularly female voices) were spot on accurate! Ed does a remarkable job turning these speakers into speakers that a truly enjoyable to listen to. With Ed it is like you give $30+ and he hands you back $500.00. The modified crossovers make that big of a difference!

Like I said, don't buy these unless you intend to have Ed work his magic; unless, of course, you really have no concern with great quality sound. At this point, I'm thinking I should have went with the Extensive Modifications because his crossover mod alone is so incredible! I am really, really happy with the sound of these speakers! Thank you, Ed!

Submitted by dkopanoa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2010

Bottom Line:
I love the sound of the out the box dv62si any of you guys know anything about the next model up the bic americia FH-65b there about double the price are they worth it ?