B&W Matrix 800 Bookshelf Speakers

• First generation Matrix speakers
  • 3-Way
  • 1" Tweeter, 7" Mid-range Driver and 7" Bass Driver

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by paul sligchers a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2006

Bottom Line:
    i bought these speakers a few years ago from my dad.
    they sound great on my audio set.(yamaha mx-1000 & cx-1000).
    clean sound and very open.not the greatest speakers i've heard but they are good enough for me.

Purchased At:   from my dad

Submitted by nikos mendrinos a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
    I am owner of those great musical speakers.The B&W 800 matrix are the best TRULLY high end loudspeakers I have heard. I tryed hard to find a pair at excellent condition.
    With my 800 Matrix I enjoy the music.
    Is the first time I really like to hear my system for hours.The 800 matrix as the accurate hughe microscope ,helps you to see and hear any small change to your system.
    Stereophile's John Atkinson was so happy too, he bought a pair.The rewiew was superb,he was 100%right.The 800 matrix offers the closest approach to the live music!!!!!If that model was current the price should be more than 40.000 USD.
    I use the THETA DIGITAL DREADNAUGHT power amplifier on a 4 channel configuration for passive bi amplification , the JEFF-ROWLAND SYNERGY preamp,the THETA DIGITAL GENERATION V DAC,the CARMEN II CD transport, the AURA turntable with KUZMA REFERENCE arm and the VDH FROG.

Price Paid:    $12000.00

Purchased At:   2001

Submitted by Xavier Beas a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
    I guess everything comes to physics. If you like to reproduce big orchestra at real levels, with complete ease, and accuracy, the 94 db sensitivity of this loudspeaker, and its low distorsion measurements given at 100 db, explain how it is possible to do it with no need for huge amplification.

I was very much impressed after the audition.

Submitted by Craig Moscarell a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
    The first truely high-end speaker Ive ever heard. It's been about 2 years since I've heard them, but I can easily compare them to the Nautilus 801's. One of the cleanest most dynamic speakers I ve ever heard. These are hard to find anymore, and have become more of a collectors item than anything. But if you are lucky enough to run across a pair, then you will see why the reviewer for (june 1992)steriophile bought the pair after he finished his evaluation. You don't see that every day.