B&W DM 601 Bookshelf Speakers

4.48/5 (87 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

2-Way 6.5" Woofer and 1" Tweeter

Submitted by activebass a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2017

Bottom Line:
At the time, they offered excellent value and handled all genres well.

I write this review while listening to my B&W 601 speakers - 17 years after I bought them in early 2000. At the time, I think I paid just under USD400 or around GBP250 for them. I shopped around quite a bit, listening to brands like Monitor Audio, Tannoy, Mordaunt Short, JBL, Sony, Yamaha, Mirage etc Some were better for speciffic genres, but absolutely none fo them sounded better across all genres like the 601 did.

They still continue to impress me and sound bigger than they should. When placed properly, for my living room that means about 20 cm away from the walls and toed in, they sound engaging, offer a good stereo image and sound stage with just enough bass to satisfy me as a bass player.

I listen to many different genres - and I don't mean that in a "I listed to Colbie Caillat, Coldplay and Flo-Rida" kind of way. I mean that in a "I listen to Ella Fitzgerald, Sepultura, Django Reinhardt, Eurasure, Metallica, Weezer, Kate Bush, Prince, Erikah Badu, Carole King, Tupac, Depeche Mode, DMB, Primus, Periphery Marcus Miller, Paco De Lucia, Bob Marley" kind of way.

The 601s handle them all very well. They might not excel in any single genre, although they are excellent with vocals, but they do everything well. Back in 2000 when I was auditioning speakers, there weren't too many bookshelf speakers which could sound good with quiet acoustic stuff and still handle Rage Against The Machine. They either didn't sound engaging or were too shrill or the bass was too muddy / boomy.

Some people have a tendency of reviewing without considering the price point or build quality. I read way too many reviews along the lines of "I bought x brand speakers at a garage sale for $20 and paired with a sub, they blow the B&Ws out of the water" or "I bought x brand speakers which are Made In China for $99 and they sound twice as good as my friend's $1000 speakers". Nah, that's just plain BS. Compare apples to apples. The 601 speakers - without a subwoofer - offer a very satisfying, insightful and fun audio experience across all genres and have lasted 17 years, mate! 17 years! I doubt my marriage will last that long!

Source: Marantz CD6004
AMP: Rotal RA-971
Interconnext: Ixos
Cables: QED Silver

and I still have a 16 year old Q Series Sony MiniDisc deck which still works!

Submitted by roy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
IIt may be because English are still always good in excagrrating the quality of every of their very poor ENGLISH quality products out of the steam train age, which is believed by many people that still live their iIve in the stone age. But my non prejudiced non English verdict is that these English speakers are of very poor quality.

I have some very old (ALSO ENGLISH) B&W DM 310 speakers, which sound extremely good in combination with my extremeley good price/quality Japanese Denon amplifiersm, which do not need any review by so called expert English marketing audio papers, to be very good. If I compare my old DM 310's with the 610's , in the same room, with the same drivere and the same music, whichever music (Jazz, Rock, Gregorian, etc.) it seems as if something is seriously wong with the DM310. So if you listen to the DM 310 I advise nou to listen to the big Englisk B&W marketing machine, but to the speajkers themselves and I hope you will find also that the big B&W/English old buddiess sweet talk marketing network is again wrong this time.

Submitted by vinny a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2011

Bottom Line:
Have been listening to these little gems for over 15 years. With my Rotel integrated amp, cd player and Audioquest cables. All I can say is they are slightly above average, and very overrated. I guess its in the name. If you like loud music, esp heavy metal you can just about forget any clarity. Well recorded Modern Jazz and warm female voices are there strong point. Just dont push them . The highs are too sparkly, mid range is muddy and bass is too warm and rolls off very early. One thing I will say is that they are rugged. Almost look as good as the day that I purchased them. I know B&W have made better sounding speakers. These are just not one of them.

Submitted by rainforth a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2011

Bottom Line:
Bought from charity shop for £49 in mint condition - stunning little speakers which I use in my music room (I'm a professional pianist). Clearly not in the same league as the Kef Reference 3s which are in my main room but I am astonished at the detail, clarity and accuracy of these little gems.

Submitted by buscador de audio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
excellent little speakers, great sound for budget price but this babies deserve a good amplifier like Marantz, Linn, Audio Creek, etc.

I have been using this speakers for a very long time and even that there are many top speakers in the market this are still my favorites

Purchased At:   hifi designed