Aurum Cantus Volla Bookshelf Speakers

• Impedance: 8 ohm
  • Power Handling: 50-200W

Submitted by systemks a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2011

Bottom Line:
Nothing to say about this beautiful speakers. You have to pay more than twice to get the sonic of this.I am now enjoying this hobby nearly thirty years now ! Trust your ears

Submitted by MARIO CASASOLA a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2007

Bottom Line:
After 2 years of the original review and a lot of work and changes in the system setup, I must say that the Vollas are excellent loudspeakers. They have reflected accuretly all the system upgrades and just when I supposed they have reached their climax, they have amazed me with new dynamics, depht, speed, transparency, soundstage and a deep and tight bass. An important step was the addition of solid granite pedestals that weight around 120 pounds each. The last surprise came when I decided to acquire a hole new reference system, and as the components arrived one by one they were connected to the Vollas. First came the new amplifiers and the Vollas gain in dynamics and bass, then the new digital source added weight and resolution to the music. After the new set of cables were connected I was shocked because the sound that emanated from the same loudspeakers was completely new, nothing similar to what I listened the last 30 months. The musical timbre was not the usual one I was accustomed and an unknown depth emerged from the loudspeakers. I think this speaks very well of the Vollas. Now I'm waiting for the new floor loudspeakers that are already ordered but the Aurum Cantus Vollas really produce a lovely wait.

Purchased At:   Universal Electronic

Submitted by Mario Casasola a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
The Volla monitors have been with me for the last 7 months, and were the first step in the upgrade of my entire system.
The cabinet is very heavy (21 kg), solidly constructed and beautifully finished, the parabola shape helps in producing low resonance, the only minor concern is with the apearance of the binding posts but they function well.

About the sound, they are very transparent and reflect the quality of the electronics and cables behind them. At first they were used with a Rotel amp and a Yamaha source with Groneberg cables and they sounded detailed and smooth compared with my old Celestion E2. Right now the system includes Pass monoblocks, a Wadia cd player and Shunyata cabling, the improvement in sound is notable, these Volla definetly make justice to what's connected behind them.

The highs are the main caractheristic because of the ribbon tweeter but the bass is quick and deep too. Low tones really go down, despite it's a monitor.

From the beginning the soundstage is very open but depth is not enough for me. After a lot of work with isolation devices the soundstage is so great that sometimes I swear I listen to a surround system and the depth has improved but as I said not enough for my personal preference, it's difficult to have it all.

One important thing you must know is that the burn-in process is long and when bi-wired, incoherence is present because the woofer is slower than the ribbon tweeter but after some hours the woofer integrates perfectly.

Purchased At:   Universal Electronic