Acoustic Research AR PS2052 Bookshelf Speakers

4.44/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $149.95

Performance Series Bookshelf Speakers Bass-reflex design, frequency response 55-20

Submitted by olderman0 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2005

Bottom Line:
If these were more expensive ,they would get higher reviews.How many 5.25" speakers have a 1" silk dome tweeter,rubber surrounds, and can reach true low frequencies below 70 hz ? They also have plastic coated fiber woofers(like JBL's PolyPlas?); Warm and accurate speakers, at a bargain price. In my opinion they are better than Polk 15's which I have owned. Bought these to experiment with, but was shocked by their sound quality.They are a little bigger in cabinet size than most 5.25 " speakers, and the lower bass response is the happy consequence. At 55 a pair bucks you can't lose. A great stereo dorm speaker, or 5.1 "rears."

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by RC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2004

Bottom Line:
First off..for those who gave them a bad review...Dont comapre them to the speakers you demo'd in the high end audio room from your local retailer...I am using four of these beauty's and matching center for my home theatre..and they are amazing...I would have paid full price approx. 130 dollars a pair...they produce great sounstage overall..and for thoise of you complaining about the low end..there is something they call a subwoofer created to handle that area..I coupled my AR's w/ a Yamaha yst-320..299 @ J and R..(Highly recommend and you can probably get it a lot cheaper now) and these speakers sound amazing for H/T..as for music..They are O.K to good...they really are not that responsive w/ demanding misic..however for classic, light country jazz, etc..they do the job rather nicely....and for thos of you camparing them to Tannoy,JBL et...Please, gimmie a break..we are talking apples and oranges and hunreds of dollars...and you actually have to own those brand of speakers to honestly compare them to..

Purchased At:   sears CLEARENCE

Submitted by merlin_72032 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I disagree with the review below. The speakers have very good sound stage and the high isn't hash at all. They have total tonal balance but also depend on speakers placement too. Overall, I am satisfy with this speaker. I pair them up with my Pioneer reciever and they are really shine. Come on, if Acoustic Research isn't that good, they would not last long until now. I believe that the company has made hi-end speaker since 1947.

Submitted by michaelstano a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have both the indoor/outdoor and the bookshelf versions of this product--6 pairs total. Crutchfield was selling these speakers for almost $200/pair when I began buying them at $50/pair. I am using 3 pair outdoors, and 3 pair indoors. They are efficent enough that, even outdoors, they sound fine even at 30% volume on receivers/amps ranging in power from 65 - 100 wpc. Two pairs of the indoors speakers are in a bedroom HT, where I also have the matching AR center channel and sub. I am terrifically pleased with both the appearance and quality of all the speakers. Granted, they are not the equal of my Klipsch, but, for the price, they sound great. When I finished the HT set up, using a Yamaha HTR 5250, I was amazed at the output.

Purchased At:   uBid

Submitted by amomar23 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great speakers, this speakers are perfect for rear channel. The highs are crystal clear.

Purchased At:   sears