Synergistic Research Audio 1000
Description: Audio interconnect

Submitted by Zee Zee a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
Recommended to connect between CD DAC and Pre-amplifier but NOT the connections between Pre and Power amps.

What else do you want at this price?

My stereo system for your reference:

Front Spk: Martin Logan Aerius i Electrostatic
Speaker Cable: QED Silver
Rear Spk: SONY SA-X1 Electrostatic
CD Transport: Pioneer HL-5 CD Turntable
DAC: Alchemist TS-D-2
DAC to Transport: Synergy Cable Audio 1000
Digital Coaxial Cable: Synergy Cable Video 1
Power Amps: 2 x Consonance KT66 (Bi-amp)
Pre-amp+AV Control Centre: SONY 55ES
Pre to Power Amps Interconnect: Audiocraft Silver
Turntable: Micro Seiki BL-41
Phonograph Cartridge: Ortofon MC-15 Super MKII
Cartridge Wires: Cello Silver
Phono Interconnect: Olebach Silver NF11

Submitted by Jon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
If Synergistic's Audio 1000 isn't the ultimate hifi joke, I don't know what is. This stuff is absolute garbage. It's simply video coax with a white jacket and directional arrow (although since the ground wire is terminated at both ends of the cable, I don't see why they need one). These do not terminate directly to RCA connectors either. The RCAs are screw-on types for standard coax ends! (I asked Synergistic about this, and they lied and said standard lengths are terminated straight into an RCA. NOT SO!) All Synergistic does is (poorly) wrap the ends of this monstrosity. And the coax ends aren't even well crimped, so on over half of the dozen pair I tested, the ends didn't solidly bite into the outer jacket, instead, they spun around it. Finally, their website says the cables silver, but if you see the product, you'll realize all they are talking about is the color.

Don't buy this product.

Submitted by Jim a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 1999

Bottom Line:
I replaced my mix of Monster and Audioquest interconnects cables with all brand-new Audio 1000, and my Monster speaker wire with Speaker 1000. All of this wire connects my Denon AVR-2600 and B&W 620i speakers.
Audio 1000s went in first. The improvement in imaging was the most dramatic change. Not a lot changed in terms of response or clarity until I watched a movie. What I assume is improved phase coherence really took Dolby Prologic movies to a new level; positioning was greatly enhanced and clarity of sound effects off the center channel were improved.

Synergistic suggests pairing Audio 1000 cable with Speaker 1000 (go figure, sell more cable). Well, I was so impressed with the Audio 1000 that I dropped another $75 to get some Speaker 1000.

The improvement isn't as dramatic as replacing my interconnects, but it's still noticable and pleasing. One thing about Speaker 1000, I'm impressed with the constructions of the wire, it's heavily shileded and tightly wrapped. Once I listened to a few of my auditioning CDs, I think I can honestly say that everything sounds clearer, particularly the attack on the higher frequencies (Kitaro's drums have a good *smack* to them before the note sounds, if that makes sense). I don't think it's added any coloration, just removed a light haze that's been over my music. Dialog in movies is a little more robust now, too.

Overall, I'd rate these as outstanding mid-fi wires. Those who want the truly premium might want to look a little higher up the line.