MIT Cables Terminator 2 Interconnect Cables - Pair

Submitted by kpatterson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Terminator 2, 1-meter, interconnect cables.

I have been experimenting and buying various low cost audio cables such as MIT, Audio Quest, Kimber, and Analysis Plus. So far, for the money, these MIT Terminator 2 cables are the best.

The defining moment was when I put these on a recently purchased two low-fi Sony DVD with SACD (DVP-NS500V) ($170 each) for my daughters. One was an out-of-box failure and had to be repaired under warranty. When I got it back I began testing the unit.

I first used some Audio Quest Sidewinder cables ($20 1-meter pr.) which were better than factory but seemed too warm sounding, like something was missing. I then tried the Kimber Hero ($120 .5-meter pr.) and noticed improved midrange, upper midrange, and highs but favored the bright side too much. The Analysis Plus Oval One ($74 .5-meter pr.) had a warmer sound with more detail and depth from mid-base through upper-highs but favored a soft side. When I used the MIT Terminator 2 cables the music seemed to pour from the player as if some kind of restricting valve had been opened. The soundstage appeared with depth and detail from mid-base to upper-highs with no mid-range grain or upper harshness. To me, on this low-fi SACD player, these are the right cables.

The point is, synergy between hardware is important and once the characteristics of a piece of gear are known, there are some great low cost cables that will give the best performance for the money. The MIT Terminator 2 cables provide superior sound for a reasonable mid-fi price on my low to mid-fi gear.

The only minor complaint I would have is the locking connector sleeves are large and on some gear, due to the closeness of the rear panel connectors, will bind against each other making it difficult to tighten or loosen the cable connections.

My home audio system used for the test:

Music Fidelity A3 dual mono integrated amplifier
Triangle Titus speakers
Polk Audio powered sub
Analysis Plus speaker cable

I would highly recommend these cables, five stars.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor