Magnan Cable Type Vi

Submitted by Fred a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 31, 1999

Bottom Line:
used the Vi for 2 months now. I had the VDH "The First" for quite some time. I could not fault the Vi at all. Its very musical! It does not interfere with my music. Overall, very happy with it. Just for kicks, I placed the VDH back. The VDH sounded think compared to the Vi. It might be system dependent also. I used the Vi to connect bet. the EAD7000 MKII D/A with the Plinius 8150i integrated amp! I highly recommend it! Since I got my used, it was very good value. If to buy new, wow, its kinda expensive!!!

Submitted by Mark Jenkins a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
This is a good cable. The problem at this price is that there is usually still a catch and you need to go up to something like the Cardas Golden Cross etc if you want something that is not noticeably flawed.
This cable is a good antidote for overly dry sound or the upper-midrange/lower treble glare of CDs. It is not a dull cable. If your system is simply bright, then this cable will not take it away. What this cable does is add warmth and liquidity without taking away any detail. With respect to one of the other reviews on this page - the Aragon 4004 MkII is probably your problem Chris. It suffers the same problem that most transistor amps with large power supplies have - grit and grain through a narrow band in the upper-midrange.

As antidotes go it is not a bad one, but there is a price to pay. There are two problems with this cable to my ears. The first is that images become less solid and distinct. Instead images have what a friend of mine calls a "waftiness" - I have not been able to come up with a better word. This may not be noticed as a problem if what the Magnan takes away is an aggressiveness. The second problem is the notion of pace, rhythm and timing. Its antidote effect will first seduce you by allowing you to concentrate more on the beauty of midrange tones, but if you listen for how well it connects you physically to the rhythm of the music, you will realise what you have given up.

If the rest of your system is right then I think there are better cables than this at this price. But if you are struggling with dryness or glare, this cable may sound better than almost all other cables out there. Since 3.5 stars is not an option I will go for 4.

Submitted by Chris a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
Just got my Magnan type Vi. I have a Wadia 6, an Aragon 4004 MKII and new Magnepan MMG. The MMG are extremely detailed, and a kind of dryness and blur appeared when i connected them; i mostly listen to classical music. I attributed this to the cables and decided to find smooth but detailed cables. David Magnan description of skin effect was exactly what i was hearing in my system; so i decided to buy those cables.
In fact, i bought a set of Signature Speaker Cables, Type Vi and Signature Power Cables. So what i write below is for the full set instead of individual character of Type Vi. Did not took the Signature Interconnect because of a too high resistance for my system... i was right: Sound is now extremely detailed but smooth; electronic aspect of the sound almost disappeared, the separate sound-elements are clean, clear and distinct, dynamic is far better than what i had with my Monster Cable M1/M1000, bass frequencies go very deep and clean, high frequencies is probably the part that took the largest benefit of moving to Magnan Cables. Sound is much more natural. Next move is a Townshend Amp Stand.... i want to remove every electronic aspect of my system to make music flows as naturally as possible... :-)

Submitted by Gary OShields a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 28, 1998

Bottom Line:
I have been through MANY various speaker and interconnects in MANY varied systems and the one that I ALWAYS come back to is the Magnan TypeVi for all source connections- although I cant recommend for the pre/power connections,dont know why? But on the front end there is none better!

Submitted by Fernando Lezama a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 15, 1997

Bottom Line:
After trying more than five different brands of interconnect, trying to obtain a cable that could temper the sound of my very-detailed Wadia CD player, I found the Magnan Vi to deliver the best sound from this unit.

I hava also tried this cable as interconnect from preamp to power amp as well as phono preamp to line stage with similar results.

On the plus side you get a very honest freq. response coverage, warm sounding without loosing transparency and detail, as well as very
adaptable to different kind of electronics and music material.

On the minus side it is a very stiff cable, difficult to run in the back of the system, particulary if you face your rack to the wall and also the possibility to get an imitation
of this very fine cable in the market, so I recommend to check where you will be bying this or other interconnect cable.