CANARE DIGIFLEX GOLD
Description: 75 OHM COAX INTERCONECT

Submitted by Makz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
Mainly because of the favourable reviews on this page, I decided to give this cable a go. What the heck, for this money I'll try almost anything... Mine was customized to 1,5 meters length, so only the 75 Ohm BNC plugs are purple, the rest is black (which is a bit of a shame, really...I'll take purple anytime over standard black).
After two weeks of burn-in (mostly using the Purist Audio CD), I sat down and had a serious listen.

The first thing that was apparent right from the off was the enormaous amount of soundstage that appeared. It was hard to imagine that all this space had been clodded up all that time in my Ensemble Digiflux that I used before. Bass seemed a little slimmer, but that turned out to be "more precise" and "uncoloured" rather than "less". And the mids were a little lightweight. With the enormous soundstage however also came a feature that seems to be a "package deal" when it comes to stereo and depth imaging; a lot more detail, especially in the higher frequencies. So much more even, that I was wondering if the highs were not too bright. An audiophile friend of mine, who came by to have a listen, confirmed my deapest fear. There was too much high, it was too "fresh".
I decided to bring the cable over to him, to see how it compared to his Goldmund Lineal. And alas, same result. But that is not the end of this story. Hold on to your hats...

My friend used two ferrite beads around the outer ends of his Goldmund (right behind the plugs), so I decided to see what this would do with the Canare. What happened was the most significant piece of proof that ferrite beads really work. The harshness was completely gone, and we were left with a holographic soundstage of humongous proportions. Our jaws still hurt from hitting the floor! Everything fell into place now. Bass was tighter, more precise, and more uncoloured, so that the natural sounds of the instrument (wood for acoustic bass) were finally audible. The mids had more "weight" or "substance" and vocals were frighteningly uncoloured. No pale or "hand in mouth" vocals anymore, no sir! And finally the highs... Man, this was some seriously good stuff we heard. We had a drummer present, and he could tell the brand of the cymbals, and he could even hear that they were too old and fairly beatten. No overpronounciation on the S-es, t's or other short consonants, as a matter of fact, on some critical recordings, it was possible to make out, for the first time, the difference between S-es and t's.

In conclusion, we were startled. The Goldmund (original price approx. $600) was completely humiliated by this cheapster. And no, I have no shares in Canare, neither do I hold a grudge agains Goldmund. It is, by all means, a matter of facts.

So keep in mind that this cable is manufactured without the ferrite beads. But they are easy to get, and rather cheap. And is is a definite must to get the most out of this remarkable digital interlink.

Purchased At:   livingcinema.nl

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
well...

finding the right cable to connect a 50 dollar dvd player up to a Creek obh-14 dac/pre combo was more lengthy than desired. fibre optic vs. coax and lots of talk later, I concur whole heartedly with sanlyn from long island that anything more that this is a waste (atleast in my application). I immediately noticed an immense benefit over the monster fibreoptic I got with the Creek...huge improvement and I know it will continue to improve as I am still only breaking em in!!! accurate and articulate notes along the entire freq. range, no coloration of music everything is more detailed, and the soundstage is becoming more and more "holideck"-like ya know?...I am using them with my tube headphone amp / sennheiser 600's combo...with this very revealing headphone setup, I am rediscovering all my cd's and getting a whole new look at songs I thought I knew...very revealing, quiet, accurate, and lively!!...did much research on my decision...get the digiflex gold original (canare lv-61 wire, not 77)the digiflex 2 I did comparo with and it gave exxagerated bass. Well, I am REAL happy with my decision...good luck y'all!!!!

Purchased At:   wickedcables.com

Submitted by DiMora a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
Wow - what a nice cable. Excellent bang for the buck. I am using this cable as a digital coaxial interconnect to hook up my DVD player to my receiver. I used to have a MonsterVideo Interlink IDL 100 cable, but I upgraded to this, sold my Monster, and now i have money in my pocket and a better cable on my system. Digiflex Gold is Canare's marketing name for their Model LV-77S Coax. I bought mine from http://www.clearcables.com. They had excellent customer service. It shipped the same day I ordered it, and they sent it via US Postal Service priority mail. I especially like the Canare RCA connectors because they are firm, but don't have the "death grip" like the monster connectors. Plus, the ClearCables brand is covered with a really cool "techflex" mesh braiding, and has heatshrink on the ends, so they look really cool. I highly recommend this cable to anyone needing an awesome digital coaxial interconnect.

Purchased At:   http://www.clearcabl

Submitted by Cabinboy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
Smooth well rounded cable! I agree, it takes time to burn in.
Had it in 2 days, very friemdly service.
Monster cable is going to eBay, Ill keep the Kimber, since I paid good money for it!!!

Purchased At:   www.wickedcables.com

Submitted by Abex a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
LV77S COAX
I do agree with the last poster's statement about the use of COAX as a IC,although it did work well between my Amp & Passive Pre-Amp(FT Audio) till I could get better cable which I did in the form of 47Labs OTA Cable Kit. Really transparent and detailed cable BTW.

I could not use it as a IC between my CDP to Preamp.It really sux!Vocals are where you really know it!
I am waiting for my DAC to get back from Boulder to hear if it is as good as they say it is as a Digi IC.

I will try the DIY,Gold and Belden when I get my DAC back