AudioQuest Granite
Description: speaker cables

Submitted by audioangel a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I also got these from AA on sale on time and they did the spades (good workmanship). 15 ft. pair for around $350 and this is the main reason I bought them as I usually prefer nordost blue heavens that are just a little more at list price ($900) but not available for half off. At 50 hours break-in they were ok, but at 130 hours they acheived 95%. The results: deep controlled bass, "smooothhee" mids and highs that offered imaging for all the instruments and a wide and deep sound stage. Very quiet, almost a damping effect, but still provides detail and decay, very curious.I still prefer nordost blues but I think I'm going to biamp using granites for bass and nordost solar wind or the bh's for mid & hi. For not my style(prefer cables people describe as fast and open) I like these a lot and at the current price they excell.

Submitted by sbh2t1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
Already owning Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables, and liking them, I thought it might be nice to move up the Audioquest line, and buy a pair of Granite cables.

Oops. My mistake. Something happened to my music when I installed the Granite cables. It left the building.

Actually, I left the building, pretty much on a regular basis when music was on. I couldn't stay- everything was just so bright in the room, with glaring highs and boooooomy lows. There was good clarity, I guess that was there.

Then I realized that the midrange on my system, once so beautiful (I love my Manley Stingray tube amp) was gone. Not reduced- gone.

I lasted through about 48 hours of break-in. Break in changes were subtle, and didn't make the cables workable for me.

I suppose if you're looking for a graphic equalizer, and just can't find one, and you want a way to boost those high notes, a lot, these cables would be just the right thing. But, for me, these cables were very disappointing.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by AdamK a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
The AQ granite would have to be one of the best investments I have made for my AV system.

Female vocals are very clean and clear standing out above the music, the mids are so much warmer and open than I have heard with all other cables used with my system and although not as heavy on the bass as some of the tara labs and kimber cable it is much tighter and controlled.

As far as soundstage is concerned, it is very open and detailed but I am running standmounts so it can be a bit hard to tell overall compared to floorstanders.

When used on a center channel the dialogue is more clear and natural no signs of husky/nasaly voices.

The only drawback being the cable realy can bring out faults in specific recordings and movie soundtracks like the last reviewer mentioned.

Seriously recomended for anyone running a mid range to higher end setup who are after a neutral, detailed cable that does'nt overly favour any particular frequency zone.

Although my setup is primarily geared for home theater I do feel that for a HT setup it does perform very well in 2ch, unlike many others!

ONKYO TX-DS989 AV RECIEVER
MARANTZ DV-18mkII DVD PLAYER
MAINS: MISSION 781
CENTER: MISSION 78c

SURROUND / BACKS: MISSION using Audioquest F-14 cable.

Purchased At:   Secher Audio

Submitted by Peter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
Worth the $460 for a ten foot pair. Nice packaging and well put together in the biwire format. Improved the clarity and soundstage of my system. Details revealed that I had not heard before on jazz and classical cd's. Vocals are clear and very present. Also improved home theater realism. Doubled up my old type 6 for the center channel biwire.
The new psc copper that audioquest is using comes through
with transparency and fast transients.

Purchased At:   cablecompany