Nakamichi RE-10
Description: 100 Watts Per Ch.

Submitted by Nels Liliedahl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2016

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased the Nakamichi RE-10 off of eBay for a total of $152.50 (shipping included) by virtue of getting the last bid in at the last second. This included the correct remote. I am nothing but happy with this purchase. All these reviews complaining about fan noise - well my unit produces ZERO fan noise. I have to stick my hand in back and feel the air blowing out to reassure myself that the fan is, in fact working. Since I don't have a detailed history of this particular receiver's past, I cannot say whether the fan was upgraded or if truly came out of the factory this way. When I get involved reading this or that on the internet I tend to forget the receiver is turned on. Complete quiet, except what you choose to hear, and man oh man does it do a good job delivering the signals to my Advent Heritage speakers. These are fairly power hungry speakers (89.5db) and this receiver handles their hunger without a flinch. I used to own a Technics SA-1010 (120 wpc @0.003 thd), but had to sell it because of $$ issues at the time. This Nakamichi cranks my speakers every bit as well as the Technics did (there are those who claim this Technics put out 150 clean watts). From Omaha Craigslist I sold the Technics to a guy from Philadelphia - who had been searching for that very receiver, but in good condition. He told me after receiving the Technics that he would have to buy new speakers, had been incorrect assuming those he had could handle the Technics. Today, finally, I don't miss the Technics. This Nakamichi is a beautiful stereo receiver, and delivers sound that has to be heard to be believed. I've heard people disrespect the Advent Heritage, but it is my opinion they must not have had a complementary receiver to deliver the signal. Even my now deceased Technics SA-GX650 (125 wpc @.04 thd) couldn't deliver the sound QUALITY & VOLUME of this amazing piece of electronic art - the Nakamichi RE-10. Beautiful to look at, simple to operate, and all the superb sound a music lover like me could ask for. I was a 70s adolescent, and I treasure the vintage gear. This NAK lives up to the high bar set back then, and then some.I am very pleased with this purchase, and if you like your music in 2 channel stereo (even my tv-haha) then there is no going wrong with the NAK RE-10.

Submitted by Tov-li a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2015

Bottom Line:
I picked up this receiver at a yard sale for $20 and to be honest, I didn't expect much but it was mint and cheap so I grabbed it.
When I first turned it on I was shocked! What is this? Can this be true? I mean, this is a
late 90's 2 channel receiver made in Malaysia at a suggested list price of $499 US, how can it sound so bloody good? Well, it does.

The sound is very clean without being bright, the bass is punchy, articulate, and never boomy, the midrange is smooth and silky, almost tube-like. It just draws you in without the usual solid state artifacts.

This receiver blows away any vintage Marantz, Luxman, Sansui, just to name a few, popular solid state products that fetch BIG $ these days. I know, I had them all.
I particularly dislike the "British solid state sound", I find it to be Mid-Fi at best but I'm in the minority.
I had the Musical Fidelity A300 for a while (yikes) and I recently tried the Naim Nait 5i and to me the RE-10 sounds much better than either one.

Yes, it's a bit coloured but all music reproduction equipment is coloured to some extent, it all comes down to your favourite colour I guess.

This sleeper goes for cheap on the used market, if you find one in good condition, grab it.

p.s. I've had the unit for over half a year now and I've yet to notice the fan, not once.

Ancillary equipment:

JVC XL-Z1050 cd player

B&O 1602 turntable

Royd Minstrel speakers

DIY speaker cables and interconnects

Submitted by roger a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have several other high-end amplifiers. I only bought this amplifier to check why Nakamichi is so much famous for its sound quality. And after using it for some time I find out that although the sound of this amplifier is somewhat colored ( which is a bad thing for an audiophile like me) but after testing it properly I can say that this is one of the best sounding amplifier you can buy for this price. And this amplifier is surely a NAD killer in terms of sound reproduction. So if you get a chance to decide between NAD, Marantz or Nakamichi. i would say go with Nakamichi. You will never regret.
I am a serious audiophile who never gets satisfied with any product. but this product really made me satisfied because I paid just $100 for this amplifier. And it surely sounds like a $1000 stereo amp.

Submitted by Tshilidzi Ramushoana a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2009

Bottom Line:
I just bought an RE 10 2 channel receiver matched with an MB8 5 disc player. This is all I could ever want in audio quality. the sound is perfect, words cant even start to describe it. the sound is really cool. this is the coolest sound i ever owned in my life. it is so cool. its so powerfull, it will blow your clothes off.

Submitted by jmargolies1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2008

Bottom Line:
This unit is fantastic! The octive range is accuratly executed at all times and the tonal color is perfect for a unit of this price. Matched with a Cal Audio DX-2 CDplayer and Mission(1985) bookshelf speakers, this receiver is top notch in every way. It is indeed High-End sounding, and it definately a poor-man's version of upper- end models.

Purchased At:   Harvey Electronics