Kenwood AR-104

Submitted by Joe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver just as a basic one for my bedroom. I knew I didn't want a huge and expensive system so I purchased this with a Boston Acoustics CR55 speakers. It really sounded great because I used it exactly the way I intended and my expectations were up to that.
If I were purchasing the receiver for a den system or a much bigger system, I'd look elsewhere. If I wanted a cheaper amp to buy a teenager for their room, I'd probably go with a lower-end Onkyo just because of the reliability reasons.
I purchased my Kenwood via online just because I got a great price. When I received it, whoops, I had a huge dent in the side where some gorilla shipping magnate decided to drop my reciver. Back to the store. It was not a replacement because it was deemed cosmetic so they took another $25 bucks off (total price ended up being 90 bucks!). Well, one day I reached down to turn it down to answer the phone, got shocked and kept blowing fuses.
Needless to say, I am upset at the Kenwood stuff, but i've had many other kenwood things and I have been happy with their products. Would I buy it again? For this price yes. For list price? No, Denon and Onkyo make much better components for the money.

Submitted by Joel Irizarry a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
If you own this receiver, or are planning on buying it, I highly recommend an equalizer. Without one, you won't get any deep bass, unless you have a powered subwoofer. When you turn the bass up on the receiver, it makes your midrange sound really muddy.

The 3D surround is pretty much useless, especially if you listen to rock music. It kind of give your sound the "pro-logic" effect. I never use it.

The sound quality is very good for the price. But, as most people say about it, it does have a lot of background hiss. You don't really notice it, though, unless you listen at low volume.

My music system:

Kenwood 104AR Receiver
Kenwood CD-203 5 disk CD Changer
Kenwood KE-205 Equilizer
Technics SB-CR77 A Speakers
Technics SB-CR33 B Speakers
Original Monster Speaker Wire for A's ; XP for B's
Monster Interlink 400 for CD Player and EQ

One more note: Don't waste your money on the extended warranty. It's not gonna break.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Martin Hill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
I wasn't able to give this unit a good listen before I bought it but I think I would have looked further if I had. It works OK and the large number of inputs is nice. Interesting that others have noticed noise at high volume, i notice it only at low volume. Sound seems pretty clean and no distortion. I really hate the rotory input selector and the remote isn't that great.

Purchased At:   ABC Warehouse

Submitted by Frank Furter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
The unit I have also gives off an annoying hiss as you turn the volume up that other reviewers have mentioned. If not for this background noise, I would highly recommend this product.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Josh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
this unit does provide solid base and will work well on a budget, but i have noticed a LOUD background hiss once i turn the volume past 12. it suddenly appears out of nowhere at unlucky 13.
i would like to give this reciever a better rating but my hiss is so terrible, i couldn't enjoy my music. now i just use the reciever as a tuner, and a powerstrip. luckily the tape 1 record rca are a constant out, allowing me to use a different amp.
also, kenwood makes a unilink cable to allow control of cd players with the receiver remote. i have the cable, and this option does not work (for me, anyway).