Boltz LP & LD Shelving
Description: Due to popular request, Boltz-USA has developed a shelving system for storing large collections of LPs, Laserdiscs, and/or Binders. Identical in dimension to our 3' wide Display/Book shelving with one difference: the back panel has been designed to allow storage of 185 LPs across one 3' wide shelf. The back panel consists of 2 dividers which separate your collection. The shelf width is 10", which means an LP will overhang by 1-1/2" on either side.

Submitted by amanka a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
[note, this is Boltz's older LP rack.]
I had my LPs in a (relatively) cheap semi-wood cabinet for a couple years until the shelves started sagging from the weight. I saw Boltz's ad and thought they looked sharp and would hold up well. I bought the LP storage system (base plus 4 shelves) about 1.5 yrs ago. It wasn't too difficult to assemble and was indeed very sturdy. My wife likes the looks too.

The only thing I didn't care for was the back of the rack has 2 dividers, but no dividers in the front, so the albums fan out in the front. The shelves are narrower than an album so the albums hang off an inch in the front and an inch in the back. The rack is very study and stable. I also liked that the system was expandable.

I recently acquired my parents' records, so I needed to expand to get the albums off the floor away from my kids. Since my original purchase, Boltz introduced a replacement LP system that addressed the two minor concerns noted above: the shelves are as wide as the LPs now, and one can buy optional front separaters to match the ones in the back. Unfortunately for people like me, the new LP shelves are incompatible with the old base/shelves, AND Boltz does not stock the old shelves anymore. So I have to start over and buy a new base and shelves--so much for expandiblity. I will probably do so because I like this LP storage system, and I have the MM-252 (which I like-5 stars), but I hope Boltz would make future upgrades compatible with existing systems.

I would give this a 5 rating, but because Boltz forgot about its original customers in its redesign, knock it down to 4.

Purchased At:   audio advisor