Simaudio Moon P-5

Submitted by todds7 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
Man, what a great, great, astounding piece of stereo art this is. I started with a black P5 and then bought an LE, which, I believe, are all kind of a pewter, pearl sort of thing going on... beautiful! You just look at it and you realize "this is a nice piece of equipment." You know, canucks just build a lot of really incredible gear up there and I can't help but be superbly proud of these cats. Classe, Simaudio, Bryston -- these guys can read a schematic I mean to tell you.

But back to the P5 LE: It's my holy grail. I don't need no FM Acoustics or Kondo. This P5LE is the last preamp I'll ever buy. Its near-zero-feedback design, its rugged, beautiful construction, its, my god, its sound. It's just astounding. Now the LE is almost identical to the P5 except for no black with the LE, where the standard is either pearlescent or black. Also there's a beefed up power supply, as with all the LE Moons, and I guess it's got a hotrodded power cord from Cardas, which I begrudgingly refrain from slamming as Sim seems to endorse them. I got rid of my Cardas power cord and greatly enjoy an MIT Zchord II.

Yup, I shan't belabor the point. This beautiful little pre has all the goods. Clear, resplendent, SUPER high fidelity sound that I just love. It's just....... open, unfussed, natural sound that I can literally spend hours listening to blissfully. ( I sold my Glock 9 as I now have the P5 remote with which to nail any unfortunate intruder.) The XLR connections are DEAD silent. Dead. silent. The muffled tick of a quartz wallclock is all I hear between cuts. I love tubes, but you know, they're too hot and too fussy -- replacing 'em, matching them -- it's just too tiresome. In any case the tube/SS debate is over for me, for, as I say, I've bought my last preamp.

If funds ever permit, I'll upgrade to a pair of W10 monos and the Eclipse LE CD toploader, but with this sound I'm in no rush whatsoever.

My system? I've got a lot of canuck gear for a simple reason: they rock. I've got a Classe CD-1 drawer loader that rivals the finest, Virtual Dynamics Revelation XLRs and single-run speaker cables to a pair of Thiel 7.2s. A dear old Linn Sondek and a Sansui TU-9900 tuner. And a jillion LPs. Oh! Classe CA-400 power house running in stereo mode into the four ohm Thiels. Pleased as I am with the associated gear, my intention is to upgrade to all Simaudio Moon gear, as the P5 recommends daily. I'd even give up the Sansui for a Simaudio Air.

I hope you get the chance to give a P5, better still LE, a thorough listening. I dare say you'll agree. And to the bozos that have rated it a three and a two! I can only quote Charles Lutwig Dodgeson (Lewis Carrol) "Those serpents -- there's no pleasing them."

Submitted by miles_r a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2008

Bottom Line:
This Person Mazher JAFFAR Is full Of Sh!t. Go http://www.simaudio.com/reviews/tier_p-5.htm or any other professional review and they will say different. He says he used a Bryston amp. Well Iv heard It on a Bryston 4bsst and It sounded amazing.

As the review goes on In review vol #10

"There is a sonic signature and it's lean and mean, since it unmercifully reveals all backup components and their characteristics. As such, the Moon "showed off" the exquisite sound of the Topaz, the dynamics of the Bryston 8B-ST, the bass of the Lightstar and the finesse and power of the OCM1600s. It also conjured a multi-dimensional sound- stage, authentic focal information and what appears to be celerity. Low-level information comes across as realistically as fortissimos and trios sound as coherent as large orchestras; what else is there to say?

Id say that Mazher JAFFAR has a problem with another component. It sure isnt the P-5. But don't take my word for It, go listen to any Simaudio Product yourself and you be the judge.

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by K512 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
This review is for the P-5 LE (Limited Edition) preamplifier. I recently purchased the fully balanced Simaudio Moon LE system From Archive Audio, including the W-5 LE dual-mono amplifier; Eclipse LE CD player; and P-5 LE preamplifier. Speakers: Induction Dynamics ID1. Cables: Signal Cable Silver Resolution balanced interconnects, and a "double run" set of Signal Cable Silver Resolution speaker cables.

Prior to discovering the Moon LE gear, I was seriously considering vacuum tube gear. However, upon hearing the Moon LE products I immediately fell in love. The reference grade, fully balanced, fully differential Moon LE components sound neither like tubes nor solid-state. It is so transparent as to have no sound of its own-- it sounds better than "solid state" and better than "tubes". Simply put, it just sounds RIGHT.

Imaging and soundstaging are precise, natural, and stable. The attack and DECAY of musical notes is as good or better than many tube designs. In addition, the P-5 LE and associated LE gear (along with the Signal Cable Silver Resolution cables) reveal a level of sonic detail through the Induction Dynamics ID1's that one might normally expect only from electrostatic headphones.

The fully balanced Moon LE gear is completely free of any hint of solid state edginess, grain, hardness, brightness, sibilance, etc. Rather, the sound of this reference gear is perhaps best described as fast and accurate, yet smooth and full-bodied, never fatiguing. Indeed, this gear is highly inviting, and I find it hard to get to bed on time these days!

Driving the Induction Dynamics ID1's, bass extension is concert-like and extremely articulate. Mid-range? Total bliss. Upper registers? Extraordinarily detailed, delicate, and graceful.

Construction, build-quality, appearance, and the "feel" of the controls (etc.) is reference grade. These products are overbuilt to very high tolerances. Completing the warranty registration entitles the original owner to a full, 10 year warranty.

I've previously auditioned a variety of high-end electronics, most noteably Spectral and Edge; as well as Audio Research, VTL, Rogue, Bryston, and McCormack. Among all of these, the Moon LE gear sounded the best to my ears. (My second choice would be Spectral, although this gear can tend to sound over-analytical and "clinical" at times>)

Purchased At:   Archive Audio, Ohio

Submitted by snootybiffer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
The search is over! The P-5 went way beyond my expectations. I have had enough preamps to open a mid sized audio store! The last pre I had before purchasing the P-5 was the Classe' DR6 which is one of the better units around. I have placed many preamps against the Classe' and the Classe' has always stayed. The P-5 made the Classe' sound like an amature. Absolute tremendous soundstage that covers my whole wall with a depth that extends well behind and into my living room. Layer after layer of sound. Detail from crystal clear highs that keep your glued in your seat for hours. Lush voices with personality that makes the singers come to life. Instruments that float all around your living room. You can see how the musicians are positioned in the soundstage! I have always heard this kind of description and have lusted to have this type of sound. The P-5 has brought this into being, after years of changing components and jerking around with cables and wires. This unit breathes live into the music and makes it an absolute joy to listen to. I have revived all my cds and I sit and listen to music until 3 or 4 in the morning. I have owned Krell, Levinson, Proceed, Audio Research, Plinius, Jeff Rowland, Conrad Johnson, and they have not produced any sound like the P-5! I can finally sit and listen to the music instead of sitting and critizing what it should sound like. Every cd that I have played has an enjoyable sweetness to it. If you want pure sweet music without all the analytical BS, find yourself a P-5 and you will not look back! When I first listened to it, it had a bit of harshness in the high end which was gone the next day. I let it play all day and at night when I was ready to listen to the music the harshness had disappeared. Thank you Victor Sima for bringing some joy to my life. "If you want to find the truth in life, don't pass music by". Eric Burdon

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by Ralph Lopez a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
Excellent soundstage and crisp detail. There is a slight dryness on the low bass, but not enough to worry about. There is definitely a synergy between this pre and certain amps like the McCormack DNA125.

Purchased At:   Canada