Odyssey Audio Candela
Description: Class A tube preamplifier specifically designed and optimized for Solid state and digital amplifiers with standard AV Bypass. Hand made in Indiana, USA. $ 1,000.

Submitted by jmitch69 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2008

Bottom Line:
I recently upgraded to the Candela from the Odyssey Tempest pre-amp. It was a no brainer. The sound detailing was superb across the spectrum. The Candela's stunning performance with all genres of music was second to none. It features many inputs and should be a staple in a any audiophile system. I'm using the Candela with the Stratus Mono Extremes and Loreli speakers. Odyssey products at their price points are remarkable. It's no wonder that folks gathered in numbers at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest to listen to Klaus's high end system featuring the Candela and his other incredible products. Any one considering a high quality,top performing pre-amp...look no further than the Candella.

I've been using Odyssey products for 5 years and would STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU BUY A COMPLETE ODYSSEY SYSTEM

GO TO WWW.ODYSSEYAUDIO.COM for more details.

Purchased At:   phone order with Kla

Submitted by davet a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2008

Bottom Line:
This is my first review, and as i am not one to have ever put sound into words. I will keep it simple and breif.
I have bought and sold several amps and preamps (Tube and Solid state) over many years looking for that just right sound.
I have found that sound with Odyssey!
They have Smooth liquid mids, tight and deep bass, smooth and extended highs, Soundstage and instrument placement like no other in it's class.
The Odyssey products make listening to music a true pleasure like is should be.
Klaus talks about your system needing to have synergy! Well I have SYNERGY! and it is truely what i have been striving for for years. Thank You Klaus.
My system consists of Odyssey Statos Monoblock extream SE recently upgraded by Klaus, Odyssey Candella Tube preamp, Jolida jd100a cd player,
Pro-ject RM5SE turntable,
Jolida jd9a phono preamp, Furman ref 15It power center, a pair of Magneplaner MG 1.6qr speakers and a pair of Vandersteen 2W Subwoofers.

Purchased At:   Odyssey

Submitted by DogWizard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
A long overdue review – or – My first experience with Klaus and Odyssey Audio.

WARNING – long and exhaustive review…

A few months ago I found myself looking for some new audio gear to pair with some speakers that were on the way. I had decided that I was in the market for a tube preamp and solid-state amps. I enjoy the tube sound but I was looking to bring back the punch that SS provides. I posted looking for some recommendations and a few folks chimed in with a few suggestions and Odyssey was one. After spending some time lurking on AC, doing lots of research (mostly on the international sites), and hearing story after story of Klaus’ level of customer service, I decided to give Klaus a call. The short version is - we had a great chat that ended up with me placing an order for a new Candela and a pair of upgraded Stratos Monoblocks in Khartago cases. I knew up front that there would be a wait as this was just after RMAF, which left Klaus buried in new orders…

Fast forward a couple of months to the day that the Mono’s arrived. BIG and HEAVY are a couple of words that come to mind. I had some real second thoughts (while waiting) about going with the “lesser” Khartago case as opposed to the Stratos from an aesthetic standpoint. I can now safely say that I am 100% satisfied with the appearance of these amps. They look great, and are very robust and well made with a very uniform brushed black aluminum finish.

As my Candela was still weeks away and I was currently using an integrated with no preamp outs, I ended up going with a SB3 direct for my initial setup. This is a bit of a departure from my usual rig, which was interesting. As a frame of reference my current 2-channel rig t the time consisted of:
Onix SP3 tube integrated
Perpetual Technologies P1A/P3A(w/MW level II mods) and Monolithic P3B PS
Onix Strata Mini Speakers
Onix XCD-88 CDP

After setting everything up, it was finally time to flip the switch. Well – they worked! No explosions and no immediate issues. I have to admit that my initial reaction was not all that I had hoped. Everything sounded pretty flat and lifeless but as my own research and my conversations with Klaus had confirmed, these are amps that need some break-in time. I also discovered a slight buzz in the left channel amp that defied all of our efforts to trouble-shoot. The right channel was dead quiet but I just wasn’t satisfied with the left. Klaus suggested that it come back to him so I sent it back. Klaus basically rebuilt it and returned what amounted to a new amp. No problems, no hassles, just excellent service and a fairly quick turnaround given what Klaus has on his plate. These are heavy amps and who knows what UPS had done to it…

I hooked it up immediately on arrival and it was absolutely perfect. If anything it was even more amazingly quiet than the first one. These are powerful amps and when you can ramp them up and still have a noise floor as low as these amps, it’s really pretty amazing.

Oh, and did I mention that my Candela arrived at the same time? It was perfect timing and allowed me to set everything up with the new gear I had purchased just for this system. The new rig consists of:
Candela Preamp with dual-outs and silver knobs
Khartago/Stratos Mono’s
Onix XCD-99 CDP
Lite DAC-60 and/or P1A/P3A/P3B
Onix Strata Mini’s

So setup is complete, initial tests are done, everything works and now it’s time to break everything in. While I didn’t want to deprive myself of listening pleasure, I also wanted to see if it was the equipment breaking in or my ears. If you don’t believe in break-in then stop reading now because what I heard over the next 2 weeks was nothing short of magical. I would leave the system on all day while I was at work and turn it down or off when I got home. It took about 3 weeks before I did any real listening and WOW, this is a really amazing system. I was a little concerned when I first heard them but now I don’t think you could take them away from me!

Everything just sounds amazing – the depth and separation/placement of instruments is unreal and the SS “punch” that I wanted is right there. The Candela sound fantastic! I was a bit worrind about using a tube DAC in conjunction with a tube pre but after spending some time doing a few A/B’s, I love the sound. Very smooth but not at all “muddy” or “smeary”. The noise floor with the Candela/Khartago combo is so low as to be inaudible, even with the source paused and the volume on the Candela maxed. All I can say is that this is one clear circuit path with some quality components. The DAC-60 adds some tube hiss at ultra high levels but that disappears with the P3A in the chain. I am planning on modding the DAC-60 anyway so that may help a bit.

After having spoken with Klaus and Alex on multiple occasions and seeing and hearing the quality of the Odyssey products for myself, I can wholeheartedly recommend the company and it’s products. If you find yourself sitting on the fence – GET OFF!!! The longer you wait, the longer you will have to go without. Call Klaus and just get it over with – you won’t be disappointed…

Purchased At:   Odyssey Direct - Kla

Submitted by 85CJ7 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
Having read a fair number of reviews trying to find useful posts and information regarding audio equipment I have arrived at the conclusion that words are limited in conveying anything meaningful as there is too much inter-reviewer dependencies. So I'm keeping this simple, no flair.

The Candela is one nice preamp. To my ears the lows, mids, and highs, the entire spectrum, are balanced, full and clean. The soundstage is wide and spatial. Music has an energy or excitement level that keeps me listening. Instruments and vocals are well portrayed. The recorded event is recreated/simulated with a sense of realism, especially given the limitations of monkey coffins (speakers) in reproducing the live event. The Candela doesn’t add or subtract from the source. I have read that tube rolling (see audiocircle.com) can slightly tailor the characteristics of this preamp but I haven’t rolled any tubes.

I also own a Primaluna which has received a number rave reviews, is dual mono, has top name parts etc and the Candela sounds better. I have owned several solid state preamps and although they were good, there is something intangible about the sound of a tube preamp.

The build is of quality too. It’s housed in a simplistic but sturdy aluminum case with faceplate color options if you don’t like black.

One caution though. The Candela inverts phase and although I’ve read about half the recordings made invert phase, and so do many other components and speakers, I recommend switching the +/- speaker cable leads to the left channel and the +/- speaker cable leads to the right channel, either at the speaker or the amp. I heard the difference. Some say you shouldn’t, others say you can’t. But I couldn’t place what I thought was not quite right with the sound so I did some reading and Alex at Odyssey had written about the phase inverting. So I switched the leads and the music sounded right. Who knows? But it is worth a try if the sound doesn’t meet with your expectations.

In its price bracket the Candela is at the top and for $1200 (The price above is incorrect.) this pre is a good buy since anything 2-3 times the price won’t sound 2-3 times better. It warrants a listen.

Purchased At:   Odyssey

Submitted by WILLIAM C WALDECKER 3RD a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
I recieved my new Candela linestage preamplifier on sept 25 06. this is the best looking piece of gear that has ever come out of the Odyssey workshop. this is the third tube linestage preamplifier that i have used in my two channel rig. the first one being the Anthem Pre 1L, the second one being the Balanced audio Technology VK 3i. the Pre 1L sounded very good and with select NOS Tubes, my favorite being the Amperex 7308 goldpins. the Pre 1L was the most euphonic and sweet sounding of the three. the Balanced Audio Technology VK 3i was my second Tube preamplifier and i prefered its more clean and neutral presentation over the more euphonic Pre 1L..nothing could have prepared me for how good the Candela sounded cold right out of the box

Purchased At:   Audio by Klaus