Densen DM 20
Description: - Line & tape inputs: 4 & 2.<br>- Powersupply size: 2x20VA.<br>- Storagecapacity: 40.000uF.<br>- Frequency response (+0 -3db): 2-400.000Hz.

Submitted by Arthur K a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2015

Bottom Line:

Wow!.. What a preamp!

The musicality of this machine is out of this world.

If you're interested in listening to music rather than the HiFi itself, this gem is hard to beat, at ANY price, and that is not an overstatement, it is seriously good!

The sound can be described as velvety smooth, the music just ... flows through it and its timing is absolutely superb. Finer detail is all there without any glare or harshness while the bass notes are fast and resonant. You can easily tell if the low notes come from a double bass or a bass guitar, in fact each instrument sound so real and natural, that puts many "high end" current model super expensive preamplifiers into shame.

Unfortunately, I don't have the matching DM30 power amplifier, however, the DM20 does a fine job with my Meridian 556 power amplifier that seems very happy to be driven by the amazing Dane.

I won't go on about aesthetics, to me it's a very attractive piece of equipment, stylish in it's own right and will have a very high W.A.F. ( wife acceptance factor ) due to it's good looks and innovative design.

Pretty hard to get you paws on one of these, but if you see one for sale, just GRAB it.

You will not be sorry you did!

Cheers.

Submitted by Brad a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2011

Bottom Line:
Gee nice amp. Plugged it in and woke up after 57 years sleep. It's that good I am hearing favourite CDs for the first time - great. I could wax on about the sound but I have found most reviews fail when trying to verbalise what something sounds like. All I can say is it's excellent value for money if you can score a second hand unit. Don't worry that it is 20+ years old, still sounds great. It won a lot of praise when it was released and I can see why.

Strengths: 1. Sound amazing, great deep bass, plenty of power
2. at last I have a pre amp that I can adjust the volume control with my boxing gloves on.
3. Pre amp knobs a great conversation starter.

Weakness: 1. Power switch at rear, and gives tha speakers a bit of a thump when powered down. I thing I will be an environmental vandal and leave the power connected 24/7.
2. Big knobs take some getting used to.

Regards,
Brad.

Submitted by Stephan Fiege a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Densen DM 20 is a nice looking pre. The big knobs are the eyecatcher of this amp.

The sound:
strong and quick.

I used a lot of preampliferes. And I can say, for me there is one better: the Audio Research SP 11 Mk II.

But if you see the price, there is no other Pre around that beats the Densen... since this time.

Submitted by Nikolaus Wilke a

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
There's NOTHING comparable at this price. The guys at DENSEN are great!!