Audio Research SP3
Description: <ul> <li>Vacuum-tube preamplifiers</li> <li>Synergistic sonic upgrades</li> <li>DC voltages to the vacuum-tube heaters</li> <li>Automatic muting for turn-on</li> </ul>

Submitted by Dean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought this Audio Research SP 3 in mint condition to augment my system that consists of a custom-built pair of 6146 mono amplifier, Thorens 160 Super turntable/ SME 3009 Series IIIs tonearm with Shure V15 type III driving a pair of DQ 10 speakers. The sound is somewhat comparable to the set-up using my ever reliable Precision Fidelity C7 preamp. Both preamps exude an air of musicality that can be surpassed by units costing more than twice their current prices. Although the SP 3 gives me more musical pleasure I can match any of the units with my other amplifiers- custom 845 triode and Quad 606- driving both vintage and relatively new models such AR 3a, AR 11, Dunlavy Aletha, KEF 105, etc. in my modest listening area. The SP 3 like the other components I have collected thru the years is a priceless piece of musical equipment that can withstand the challenge of the new technology.

Submitted by nick dobson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2007

Bottom Line:
bought this unit used but restored eith the caps. replaced and a new set of tubes. The internal wire had been upgraded also due to age. This preamp will sing! the SP3 is classic looking (read old) but quite functional and simple when compared with some of the newer junk coming from overseas. It never occured to me that older gear could sound this good until I tried the SP3. I have hed $20,000 preamps that gave me less joy then the SP3. It will hold it's own against some state of the art equipment except for a slightly higher noise floor and bass that could be a little more forcefull (tubes) in absoulte terms. I would recomend the SP3 to anyone who is on a budgetand can find a nice (restored) one or knows their way around with a soldering Iron.

Purchased At:   Ross's exchange