Audio Analogue Bellini
Description: solid state preamp with MM/MC phono preamplifier

Submitted by BJQ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
I've been listening to my new Audio Analogue "Bellini" preAmp for a while now. I use a NAD C-272 powerAmp driving B&W 603 S3's. It sounds terrific! Very natural, musical and it seems to give the music that often mentioned 'engagement'. The sound of voices and acoustic instruments is it's major strength: great depth and 'emotion'. For example, listening to Tracy Chapman turns out the be a wonderful experience! And I was literally blown away by the beautiful saxophones and trumpets on Chelsea (by Counting Crows). Also it does a great job with (half)electronic music like Faithless or Basement Jaxx. As Xyrium said, the sound is very laid back, though I think it does have a little trouble with somewhat 'harder' rock music. But that's probably because of bad recording, so I'll be careful by putting the blame on the amp.. All in all, a great amp for the money!

Submitted by Zkidd a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have to agree with the gentleman from Sweden who stated that this is a wonderful piece of equipment! I have had this is my system now for the better part of six months. For a solid state preamp, it has a wonderfully warm and engaging sound. I bought this as a "temporary" preamp until I could find something "better" (read that "more expensive") that was an "audiophile" preamp. You know the ones I mean - they have to be recommended by one of the leading magazines or it doesn't count as a real piece of equipment. Well, this preamp is staying. I have had a total of nine preamps, both tubes and solid state. The Bellini is a great blend of tubes and solid state. As mentioned, the sound is full, warm (without loss of detail), transparent and "musical". I find myself tapping my feet with both LP and CD when using this preamp. And speaking of LP, this preamp does have a phono section that can accomodate both MM and MC.

If there is anything that is a bit "weak", the phono section is it. For the occasional vinyl player, it will do just fine. I am not that person, however. With the phono section on MC, it is significantly better. I do use an outboard phono section (Clearaudio Basic) and send the signal through the Beliini. That seemed to satisfy me just fine. Too, if one changes the stock power cord to something like the Harmonic Tech Pro 11, the changes are not subtle. It is well worth the few extra bucks.

Lastly, the build on this preamp is excellent. It is a dual mono preamp, and has a torodial transformer the size of a hockey puck! Hence, the preamp is great on dynamics and plays far better than the price suggests. I have compared it to the Marsh 2000P and find the Bellini as good if not better. Too, the Bellini's remote is a significantly better remote than I have seen with other preamps, the Bellini's being a large and attractive aluminum job.

So, go find one of these and listen. You might be very surprised how good this really is. I would consider it one of the bargains in the audiophile world.

Purchased At:   Audiowaves

Submitted by xyrium a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
Heard this preamp through a pair of Dynaudio Audience 50s powered by a pair of Donizettis, then an Odyssey Stratos. The sound was laid back and smooth, though dynamic enough for pop/rock. A good value overall, great build quality.

Submitted by Ulf a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic preamp. Its belongs in a higher class than the other Audio Analogue stuff. The poweramps for example from the same manufacturer are great value but the Bellini benefits from even better surroundings. Fotunately you can get a similarly underrated poweramp quite cheap. I´m thinking about the brilliant Rotel RB-991 (now sadly discontinued). It has almost High-end sound AND loads of power. (look at the Stereophile reviews at rotel.com)Together they bring you a fantastic clarity and tonal purity over the full spectrum of sound. The refined sound of the Bellini backed by the power and grace of the Rotel. They can do classical, jazz and pop/rock with authority. They can be revealing of poor recordings, so if you (like me)own quite a few of them you should not go for the brighter side in the front ends. I use Arcam Alpha 7se on dampening feet. I´ve put the Bellini on dampening feet as well. According to the manual you should not, but it cured a slight "nervousness" in the higer registers. The Arcam gives a full body to the sound and the treble is never offensive, but I´m sure an even better cd-player would help the sound even more. If only I could afford one. I´m sure the Bellini can hold it´s own with even better equipment, as can the Rotel. That´s why they make such a good match. If you are on a budget, lend them an ear, they might suite your taste. They certainly suite mine.