Cardas Audio Golden Reference Power Cord with Built-in Filtration

Submitted by antero a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
When I first got the Golden Reference powercord I was very pleasantly surprised at the improvement in musicality it offered over the Audiquest powercords I was using at the time. Due to some system synergy, it also mated really well with 2 of my cd players at the time (Audio Refinement and Marantz), adding richness and some weight to the music.

After I upgraded to 2 better players, this cord really became the limiting factor in terms of system performance. It lacks PRaT, real-life dynamics, and sounds rolled off in the highs. Compared to some powercords that replaced it (shunyata black mamaba v2, shunyata taipan, revelation audio labs precept II) it became apparent that this powercord did not have as low a noise floor - rendering less overall detail to the music -, nor did it have the 3D soundstage or the accuracy in bass. These powercords were more or less in the same price range new (at that time) but the performance of the cardas power cord was not in the same league as the others in my system. When I eventually upgraded to the shunyata anaconda Vx the difference in the sound of staggering. I won't say anymore. (it did help though to equip the entire system with same range powercords).

Perhaps there are some instances where this powercord may achieve some real synergy in certain systems. Of all the ones I've heard where the cardas GR powercords were used, the overall sound never sounded as convincing as when other powercords were used, although sometimes it sounded more musical ... but usually also more slow.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Berjan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2007

Bottom Line:
This powercord is all about musicallity. Connecting it to my hybrid amp (Pathos New Classic One), replacing Van Den Hul Mainstream PC, provided me with a sound that is so much more real, live, smooth and textured! Voices (especially female) stood further into the room and became more natural. Strings (guitar, violin, etc.) improved dramatically, with much more texture. The PC provided a blacker background, so more details and ambience noice are heard. Bass has improved also. But the most unexpected and mayby biggest advancement in my system is that the music sounds so much more natural and smooth! The Golden Reference definately complements my Pathos amp well.

Purchased At:   2nd hand

Submitted by demos100 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2005

Bottom Line:
Its the best Power cable I own and use. This cable is perfectly matching with tube amplifiers - for me: a must have cable. You cannot come back and you will never think to use other AC cables any more. Its fast, presents more-more detail, revealing , spacious, adds air and make tube amps even more stress-free, silk sounding, creamy midrange without leaning any freq., no hi-freq. roll offs, no rosy/compressed but fast bass = just delicate solid state fast bass that you thought your tube amp never had - you name it, its there. Comparing this with the original AC cord is silly, the difference is day and night, I thought I brought another amp costing x5 the money of my KT88 equipped amp. Also I tried Van Den Hul The Mainstream cable, huge difference with the original AC cord but also huge difference with Cardas. VDH adds less air, less freedom than Cardas and somehow it represents the whole music recordings with a character that is midrange and hi-freq. probolic and coloured plus finally im sure it adds an effect. Cardas does not adds an effect , it adds much-much of freedom,right speed without drying freq.,magic upgrade of focus, clarity, warm, creamy and crystal clear soundstage, without character and hyper-analytic. This cable is a must.

Purchased At:   -

Submitted by antero a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
This powercord is very good. Bought it fully burned in off audiogon. I've had it for less than a week and it sounds awesome on my Cd player. Compared to previous Audioquest NRG-3 and Nrg-5 pc's, this Caradas pc has more detail, more air, more musicality, better focus and slower rhythm. NRG-5 was better on the amp though (I found cardas golden ref too slow for my liking here). Would highly recommend this powercord to anyone who can afford it for their source equipment. Made my cd player sound very musical and my DVD/SACD player sound definitely analog.

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by Dave a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
Very short time with this PC but so far very impressed. I was using the Audio Asylum PC (from DIY Cable) and didn't expect to hear lots of differences in a 10x more expensive cable. But I was floored by the difference; comparable to a really good speaker cable or IC upgrade. Better upper bass, better separation of instruments, more air, and a nice rich sound. Who knew that a freekin PC could make such a difference?

Purchased At:   Jeffs Sound Values