Analysis Plus Power Oval AC

Submitted by Chad Baures a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
Better than the $225-$600 power cables I was using before these. Once I heard them in my system I switched all my cables to these and sold the others.

Submitted by salvino a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I must admit that I was very skeptical about the potential benefits of a power cord. Nonetheless, since I was able to pick up the AP Oval PC for about 1/3 of retail I decided to give it a try. For comparison I listened to two tracks: Rebecca Pidgeon's "The Raven" and Thelonious Monk's "Locomotive", both on SACD. First with the stock PC that came with my Manley Stingray and then with the AP Oval PC. I was stunned! Magically, with the AP Oval there was more detail, better dynamics, deeper bass, a wider and deeper soundstage and more "air." The violin no longer sounded merely like strings, but now I could hear the strings, resin and wood. It felt like the sound was emanating from the body of the instrument. Then it was on to "Locomotive." This time I was struck by the added weight of the bass, the air that surrounded the sax and the fuller sound of the drums. How could a power cord make such a difference? Admittedly I only compared the AP Oval to the stock PC, but the difference was clearly noticeable. And that's even without the benefit of "break-in."

System:
Manley Stingray integrated amp
Sony SCD-C333ES SACD Changer
Joseph Audio RM22si speakers
Tara Labs Prism interconnects
Double run cheap large gauge Monster speaker cable (soon to be replaced by AP Oval 12 bi-wire cables)

Purchased At:   Audiogon