Energy Speaker Systems Tempest
Description: The Tempest is the perfect solution for your outdoor speaker needs, as the exclusive Indoor/Outdoor Equalization system provides user control over the speakers' sound. \nIn the Outdoor position, an equalizer circuit is engaged, optimizing the speaker for outdoor use. In the indoor position, the speaker has a flat natural response, optimized for in-room purposes. While the black or white finishes are designed to complement your interior, the Tempest is also designed for permanent outdoor installa

Submitted by David a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
These speakers really ought to be in the Outdoor section of this website. They are very good sounding outdoor speakers that have held up well to the elements. I do bring them inside each winter. I compared these to a lot of other outdoor speakers and found them to have punchier bass and excellent imaging. They are plenty loud for my deck listening. Highly recommended.

Submitted by Darryn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
I just mounted these speakers outside yesterday. I must say that they do sound quite good. The imaging is great, and the power handling is acceptable. The only down-side that I would mention is that they play a little low as compared to the rest of the speakers in my house. Most of my other speakers are in the 90 db sensitivity range, and beleive me 2 db makes quite a difference in sound.

I should not be so picky though, since Energy has designed these to handle 100 watts. How do you get 100 watts out of a 5 inch woffer? Lower the sensitivity, its that simple.

Purchased At:   Laser Home Theater

Submitted by Kurt Schmidt a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased the Energy ES8 Sub and C100 Center Channel and was very pleased. Therefore I decided to give the Tempest a listen for my outside patio speakers. I was very pleased and purchased these as well. I am running them from a Sony STR-DA80ES Receiver on the "B" set speakers. Theses speakers are very acurate and sound dynamic even outdoors. The seperation is great as well. I have them at about 20 feet apart and they sound fantastic. I auditioned alot of others to include Sonace, Niles and Boston Inddor/Outoor models and these by far sounded better in my opinion. Also they have a switch on the back for indoor or outdoor use. When on the outdoor setting they tend to pump a little better bass and the sound stage is wider. If you are in the market for outdoor speakers I highly recommend these speakers. What I love to do is put on the DD Satellite Receiver and and tune in music choice and set out back and never worry about changing any music and no commercials to boot. These Speakers can handle power like front mains can. Distortion was at a minimum .