No Frills Yellow Pages Resonance Absorber
Description: Just a Thick telephone book/yellow pages

Submitted by Jim a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 24, 1999

Bottom Line:
Two quick mods for Joao's problem with the entry-level phone book:1. Add a Radio Shack catalog on top of your phone book. As with so many other Radio Shack items, the catalog can impart quite a bit of value for the dollar.
2. Remove the booklet from your cd/dvd case and place it between your equipment and the phone book. This will provide a filtering/conditioning effect that will smooth things out nicely. This is especially effective when playing records because of the large surface area of the album cover. However, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, use a jewel case or a shrink-wrapped album cover, unless you want a sound so bright it will make your cat's ears bleed (hmmm, on second thought...)

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by John, Groovin in SFbay Area a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
I read all the reviews over about eleven times, to cherry-pick the best features and applications of this device. After some deep thoughts and some personal tweeking I came up with this: Rather than worrying about the structural and airborne sources of vibration
to my components I decided to go to the source(read listening source here).Since
I do most of my listening on the thrown( my bathroom has the best acoustics)
I tried and settled on a local phone book.The San Francisco Bay area phone book
gives the sound a transcendent quality, with an almost lavender hue around the
instruments.I took Jim`s suggestion and spritzed some 50`s vintage Gewurtz on
my skankier dreadlocks, this before aligning the book on the top of my head.A
couple of Iso Bearings under the balls of my feet and Bam, I was off to the
races! Happy Listening!

Submitted by Mark a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
I'm having trouble finding a vintage phone book with all the coupons intact. Does this matter ? Also I've heard from some that removing the government pages will make a huge difference. Please help. I don't want to mess up a vintage phone book and have it not help at all.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Charlie Burch a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 1999

Bottom Line:
Schlock Electronics (PTBarnum, New Jersey) makes a clearly superior phone book for the discriminating audiophile. The reinforced copper braiding in the binding seems to eliminate the harmonic distortion I was getting with a standard phone book between the aluminum siding and awning sections. $2,500 seems a reasonable price for such sonic clarity, especially when you throw in call-waiting...

Submitted by Jim a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 22, 1999

Bottom Line:
To Adam from MI: ebay is presently offering a 1946 Berlin U.S. Forces phone book (item #134231202) until 7/26. Although it may impart some harshness and/or boominess due to its singular content, it should still enhance your BPO listening experience compared to domestic books (although Wagner's "Ring Cycle" wouldn't suffer, I bet!) You may want to mist the pages with a good quality Riesling or Gewurtztraminer first to smooth it out. I would recommend Babcock Vineyard's 1994 Santa Ynez Valley Gewurtztraminer if you can find it. It exhibits both surprising depth and unusual density for a 'traminer, but with a refreshing tanginess. It is also a touch bitter in the finish, but what could be more appropriate for Berlin after the war? Good listening!

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener