Maxell XLII-90 High Bias Audiocassette (5 Pack)

Submitted by DMK a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
Over the last two years, I've begun archiving my old cassettes onto CD-R. Of the 800 or so cassettes I recorded, about 50 of them were Maxell XLII's. Many of these 50 have experienced dropouts, wow and flutter and tight casings while the TDK's that I usually used have fared considerably better. Interestingly, I used some Maxell blank CD-R's and experienced the same phenomenon of poor quality control. I can not say enough bad things about these cassettes. Most of my recording was done in the 1980's and I've been told that these Maxell blanks are now superior to TDK. Well, I just lost another batch of music to this company's crappy products and this was recorded in 1998! Another audio myth destroyed by facts!

I have probably lost the equivalent of 40 CD's due to this company. If you care about your music, don't entrust it to Maxell. Their products are the worst I've come across in any industry. Use TDK instead. The TDK's I made in 1978 (the year I started recording) still sound wonderful and the Maxell's from several years later are dead or dying. There is no comparison. Use Maxell at your own risk! If I could give negative stars, I would give them 10,000,000 of them! Absolute crap!