Black Diamond Racing Pyramid Cones Mk. 3
Description: anti-vibration cones

Submitted by arcls25 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is my 2nd review for mk3 and mk4. I made further improvements in my system. First I put granite under the audio rack which is Finite Element's Pagode, carrying all my equipments even my big power amp Audio Research VT-200 at bottom. Previously the rack was sitting on the carpet. This improved dynamics and soundstage significantly, but with metal spikes under the rack the sound was too bright. I put a combination of MK4 and MK3 cones under the rack over the granite, and the result was so satisfactory. Then I put a second block of granite under my power amp and a combination of MK4 and MK3 between them. A huge improvement again, details, dynamics, soundstage all improved. I changed cones under my cd player from MK4 to MK3 and also put BDR Source Shelf under my cd player and another set of cones (all MK3) under the shelf and pagode rack. Marvellous! Source Shelf is something every serious listener should consider. A big step over cones.
Finally I put granite and mk4 under my speakers which originally sitting on the carpet with ordinary metal spikes. It was such a significant experiment for me how distortion due speaker movement was degrading the sound.
Total result is a very dynamic and detailed system with a better soundstage without being too bright or over-analytical.
Black Diamond Source Shelf and cones gave me the sound that I have never realized or dreamed before with the same equipments I have. A very serious upgrade due to lowering distortion. Definetely recommended. Do not attemt to upgrade your equipment unless feel confident about distortion performance of your system!

Purchased At:   amusicdirect.com

Submitted by ManSeng Lai a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
I tried using these cones under my CD player, DAC, Preamp, T.Table etc. and it does improve midrange roundness, bloom and #D soundstage.

Overall, I prefer the MK. 4 products better. This is very subjective as everyone prefers a slightly different presentation of music reproduction.

Submitted by John Lum a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 26, 1999

Bottom Line:
Ugh! I just hate this warm, fuzzy sound. Why do audiophiles insist on hearing such distortion? For better sound, please use the Mk. 4 version.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile