Yamaha TX-492 Tuners

3.56/5 (18 Reviews)

Yamaha's entry level tuner

Submitted by K-Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
TX 492

I was in the market for a tuner and was going to hold out for a nice T-85 or something similar but saw this at the pawn shop for only $30 so I snatched it right up.

During my research I had compiled a short-list and the TX-492 was at the bottom of the list. But it did make the cut (something most of the HKs couldn't do).

I have no problem with its FM performance. I have a yagi in the attic and it pulls in the low-power college station from 25 miles away in listenable mono. Pulls another university station in from 60 miles away.

When I got it it was replacing an older low-end Marantz digital receiver. I A/B'd them and the Yamaha had slightly better overall FM performance. The Marantz did better on a couple of stations and it had a fine tuning feature, but the Yamaha was just slightly superior on average.

The sound quality is rather thin, however. This has been mentioned by other reviewers. I am using Monster Interlink 400 and it is still really bright. Maybe will try different cables as one of the previous reviewers suggests.

No AM performance to speak of. Can only get the 1 local station.

One FM caveat: has trouble with a high-powered top-40 station only 35 miles away, but I think geographically it is located in the null of my antenna so I do not blame the tuner for this.

Of course I would like fine tuning, adjustable selectivity, bandwidth, sens, etc., but this is an entry level tuner.

Overall: It is a decent little tuner and sets the bar for the absolute minimum level of performance an enthusiast would accept from a separate tuner.

Strengths:
Weaknesses:

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Submitted by Joseph a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a superb unit FOR THE PRICE.Compare its important specifications to units costing many times, and you will see little difference,in some cases. And, you won't necessarily hear the difference, unless you live in an area that has audiophile quality FM stations----and are few of those around folks. Today's FM programming is largely computer generated, highly compressed, mediocrity in most areas of the country.

I agree with the reviewer who stated that digital FM is just around the corner, so why waste your money.

If you want a finely machined cabinet, elegant switches, and pretty dials, go elsewhere and spend a thousand dollars or more. The Yahama is a superbly engineered product AT ITS PRICE POINT.

Submitted by Rephyx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
Please Note: This review is for a < $300 Tuner!

I am not a huge listener of radio, however after being pressured by my wife to provide our sound system with a tuner, I purchased this admittedly low end tuner to satisfy her need for radio background during the day.

I read the other reviews about this product, and frankly, I have to position myself on the side of thos who qualify this as " a3 great little tuner for the price".

I connnected it to my sound system (Clements Ribbon speakers Mark II, Rotell 991 Amp and Rotel 995 pre-amp) and was very surprised by the clean, crisp sound of the radio stations within programming distance. It is very enjoyable to listen to and easy to configure. N.B. I am using only the dinky little cable adapter antenna at the moment, and it still has great reception.

Purchased At:   Layton Audio

Submitted by nickmtl a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
I paid 260. cdn. for this tuner (175 US) new. It is a great sounding tuner and is worth every penny. With the eventuality of digital tuners in the near future, I don't see why anyone would pay more money. It might not receive the farthest stations without a fancy antenna but most tuners don't either.

Purchased At:   Audioshop Ottawa

Submitted by dlarkin_dc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
Out of the box it is light and plasticky. A thin metal casing and the facia is that cheap brittle black plastic. On the back, Coax FM only, AM clip connectors and basic RCA sockets that are not gold plated.

Setup is a doddle with an auto-program function: The unit scans FM and AM for stations and then programs the presets with the strongest signal in order of frequency. Quite smart. Moving stations between presets is a doddle after that.

Listening, I'd have to say it seems more at home with classical and talk radio, capturing the details. Rock/Pop sounds 'edgey' and is probably not suitable for a bright amp.

Cabling this unit I have used the detail friendly coax interconnects.

Despite the signal pulling limitaions this tuner is very capable and undoubtedly includes the appreciable Yamaha know-how though bang-for-buck is low.

Purchased At:   Myer-Emco, Bethesda