Yamaha TX-2000 Tuners

Natural Sound AM/FM Stereo Tuner

Submitted by geoffw a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2004

Bottom Line:
This superb tuner has given me many hours of enjoyment. Excellent soundstage & imaging, and very rich detailed sound. Live PBS classical concerts are like being there. In some ways, it's better than CD sound, due to the analog presentation and the fact that good radio stations are probably using better CD players & other equipment than I have. It's beautiful to look at too, with it's titanium-cherry finish.

The TX-2000 is very similar to the TX-1000, which I also have. The main differences are the titanium finish, and the better internal copper-plated shielding used through out the unit. Four caps were also different on the circuit board, but that may not be significant. In sound they are very close, but I have to give the edge to the TX-2000. It gets a better signal using the same antenna, and is more sensitive. This could be due to the copper shielding and maybe even the shielding effect from the thick wood side panels. The sound just seems a tad richer than the TX-1000, and perhaps a bit more detailed in the treble.

Both the TX-2000 and TX-1000 are a significant step up from the TX-930, which I also had for a while (the TX-930 is identical to the TX-950, but with only 24 presets). They have a better soundstage, stereo separation, and bass than the TX-930. They're also more solidly constructed and use a much better, more massive power supply.

This tuner is a rare gem. Pounce on it if you get the chance. Not many of them out there.

Submitted by Alexander a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 11, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have read very favorable reviews on the AudioReview website concerning Yamaha Am/Fm tuners. Therefore I guess I can consider myself fortunate in having seen a good audio buying opportunity when I walked into my favorite audio dealer a few years ago.I purchased the Yamaha tuner model TX-2000. Titanium metal finish. Wood finish side plates. Great specs! Capture ratio 1.2db(wide). AM suppresion Ratio 70db.
Alt channel selectivity 90db(Narrow). Signal to noise ratio-mono 98db, Stereo 90db. 2 FM Ant inputs. Remote control.
This unit has given me great listening pleasure as well as being pleasing to look at. I would have to believe that it has been discontinued by Yamaha. If anyone worldwide has seen, owned, or listened to this superb Yamaha tuner I would love to hear your comments. A 5 star product!

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile