Pioneer F-93 Tuners

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

HIFI tuner from the "elite" series

Submitted by Rick Price a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
Reference Standard RF performance. This tuner's sins seem to be (gleaning from Stereophile/Audio Critic, etc.) that it's not easy to figure out so therefore it must be bad. I've owned a number of very good tuners (MD FT-101, Pioneer TX-9500 II, 9800, F-91, F-449, Carver TX-11a and various SX's) and I'd rank this unit at or near at the top. The only drawback I see is that it doesn't have multipath outputs to feed to an o-scope for highly critical tuning. (The better TX's from the '70's do....) It does allow for 10khz tuning and measures signal in DBf.

I find its "sound" to also be of reference quality. The frequency extension at both extremes makes it sound very "untuner" like to me. I don't hear the colorations that have been alluded to by others. (In fact I think it's less colored than its older, meeker F-91 sibling.)

They're rare for a reason. The people who have them (having heard them) hang on to them and let everybody else wonder what the fuss is about.

Submitted by Jason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
Everything said in previous review about reception is true. Incredible!. But the unit has a marked sound characteristic. The best analogy I can give are the NHT 2.9/3.3 speakers. If you like them, you'll love the F-93.
In summary this is a preferred tuner if you primarily listen to rock/pop or even jazz; I would not recommend it for classical unless NHT's are to you're liking. Of course, if reception is your primary concern, this is really
your only choice within 2-3 times the price. And the build quality is superb.

The only real drawback is the lack of a remote; you must have another Pioneer unit with "S" control output.

Submitted by Kirby Krause a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
Well after 20 years of using over 70 top tuners I declare this as the top tuner at getting the weak stations, king of DXing. There are some others that are super, like the under rated and under priced Yamaha T-85, Yamaha 1000U, must be the U,9090 I and II Onkyos. However if I had to pick the top one, this is it. Real quality of construction, MANY nice and usable features, no real quirks that I do not like.
Sound is average, nothing great but if you have a tuner that sound really good and gets the station a bit weak the sound does not overcome the noise.
Anyway, I am not much of a writier, but this is a cool tuner, $375 to $500, VERY hard to find one.
Kirby
I am giving this a 5 for performance, sound is a 3.

MS 1400W: