Home | Reviews | Tuners | Onkyo

4.67/5 (9 Reviews)

Digital tuner from 1999

Submitted by JC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have this tuner for more than 6 months now. I live in a high rise condo which does not allow outdoor antena so I connet it to my cable tv outlet and receive very good signals and very sweet sound. Every stations have the same signal strength and clear. Now just wondering what it will give me if I had a real outdoor FM antena. It's worth every penny and I intend to keep it for a long long time.

Purchased At:   HiFi store in Singapore

Submitted by Tom B a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have a Onkyo Integra T-4017 which dates from the mid to late 1980s. It is a very basic digital tuner with 16 presets. I found a T-4711 demo real cheap and decided to "upgrade" to a tuner I heard lots of good things about.
While the T-4711 does sound good it did not sound as good as the T-4017 in a direct comparison in my system using same type of antenna and interconnects. They were both on in separate equal inputs on the preamp.
The reception on the T-4017 was a lot better, not that the T-4711 is bad.
Anyway, I kept the T-4017 even though it does not have all the features. Sound and reception matters most. I was able to sell the T-4711 at a profit equal to what I paid for the T-4017 used. So not a bad experience in the end; I got a free tuner out of it.

Purchased At:   Used from dealer.

Submitted by Stanislav Horacek a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have bee using NAD C 440 tuner more than one year. This tuner is far better. It is great pitty Onkyo does not produce it any more, because it is one of the best tuners available. If you can grab one, you won't be disappointed.
Exceptional separation, clear and dynamic sound with tight and deep bass. Sounds almost like CD player.

Submitted by Marcus Streitner a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
i don't want to leave here another tiring statement - simpl y wonderful, clear and smooth sound. it's worth every penny.

Submitted by Matthew W a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
Overall, this is a great tuner! I paid under $300 and I'm sure it doesn't match the audiophile ueber-tuners out there but it does a great job. you have many options of how to try to graba signal, including offset tuning steps. Afaik, though, Onkyo no longer makes this model so you may need to look around for it a bit.

One of my chief complaints is the antenna connections on the back, both of which are 75ohm push-on style female jacks. the quality of them doesn't seem to be very good, and my push-on male connector from an amplified antenna doesn't fit them very well at all. I don't see why Onkyo couldn't spend a dollar extra, and put in actual female 75ohm screw thread jacks. I'm considering trying to put my own on if it won't destroy the unit. I'll wait for the warranty to expire. :)

And on that note, why only an antenna switch on the remote control? Whose bright idea was that? Did I misread the manual?

Anyone else less than thrilled with the antenna connections?

High End: