Home | Reviews | Tuners | Naim

Naim NAT-05 Tuners

3.75/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $1450.00

Submitted by kri a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2012

Bottom Line:
hi i have the new nat o5xs tuner and are very disapointing the noise floor is mutch higer than the original 05 and it sounds flat and nervous are the pepoel at naim deaf futher on it souds digital not analog as 05 no good att all hiss and noise are vay to mutch bad purcase if you like qouiet sound

Submitted by mfm6 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2011

Bottom Line:
Bought this used to match a Naim amp and CD player. It has surpassed my expectations. I've had some excellent lower/moderately priced tuners including from Magnum Dynalab (FT-11, FT-101A), Rega (Tuner), and Creek (3040, 3140, T43), and the NAT-05 is superior; it is the best sounding tuner I've owned. It has a dead quiet background/noise floor, and I hear no sibilance or hissing. It is very dynamic, non-fatiguing, and provides very nice tight low bass. I am using with a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna mounted outdoors, and am approximately 50 km from my major transmitting stations. It is very simple to use--either with the remote, or the front panel buttons. It seems as sensitive as the other tuners mentioned above, at least for the stations I typically visit, holds stations perfectly, and never suffers from distracting mono-to-stereo switching on more distant stations. It is a nice feature to be able to turn off its front panel lights without completely shutting it off.

Submitted by jim a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
It has always been about the Music; this chase for the perfect electronic reproduction. Naim has refined the presentation, and for the most part, left the listner with Music. A tuner that plays jazz, clasical and popular venues with full dynamics, poise, presence and "air"-wonderful air to surround the performance with a distict sense of space and place. Perfect-of course not; for that, buy a ticket.

Purchased At:   Deja Vu Audio

Submitted by Robert a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
Nice solid slim-line construction. Has a good look and heavy feel so you know made well as with all the NAIM products. I love the way it picks up stations well, even with my TERK FM PRO antenna used indoors. Can't wait to buy a large outdoor antenna to see how this tuner really works. But until then, I am happy with it as is.
The remote is easy to use and I like the numerous presets available, plus the fact you can enter the station frequency on the keypad and it tunes right to the station. The only thing I do not like is when the unit is in pre-set mode and you scan through the pre-set stations, only the number is displayed and not the frequency. I personaaly would like to see the frequency to know what station I am listening to. That is my only gripe about this tuner, while it is not a huge deal, I can live with it.

Purchased At:   Hawthorne Stereo