Home | Reviews | Tuners | NAD

NAD C440 Tuners

3.47/5 (15 Reviews)

Submitted by rattusnorvegicus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2004

Bottom Line:
Great product if... connected to a decent audio signal source. My tuner is connected to a cable TV socket, which guarantees a superb quality signal. Works just great. 30 presets is enough. RDS sometimes sucks, the same with remote control, but... this is specific for NAD, isn't it? NAD c440 has no infrared connection with other NADs (as, for example, my NAD c541i and c350), so an additional cable is a must. Fortunately, it is given "for free" with new tuner. But... when I press "Stand By" on my remote, the tuner does not turn off. Weird...?! It's not equipped with NAD's characteristic "green eye". What a pity! Another interesting factor: c440's front panel is made of metal, while c541i's and c350's are plastic! ???

Purchased At:   "Polish eBay - Alleg

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
First off, this a tuner, OK. So if you are expecting excellent sound from a tuner and you do not have at least a six foot antenna on your roof, then don't read this and write your own review about how mediocre this tuner is like most of the others have done for the C-440. Or go by a Magnum Dynalab unit and whine in that forum. Enough about that, this is a very good tuner, its specifications are excellent and it performs very well on good signals. My unit was not warped, thankfully. This unit tunes in .025 increments, meaning that if you want to tune into 97.1, you can go from 96.25, 96.50, 96.75, 97.0, 97.25, etc... Very impressive feature, it is like having an analog tuner with all of the digital features you want. The remote is fine, you can roam through your pre-sets on any one of the three banks, what more would you want, I don't know of any $300 tuner that lets you enter a frequency via the remote. I mean you have thirty pre-sets so you never have to dial in a freq., simply put your 10 favorites on bank A and you can push through all of them in the time it would take to punch in one station manually. You can tune completely manual, or search for new stations either with the mute off (more sensitive) or with mute on (less sensitive) or search through the presets. I have owned the 4155, a nice tuner for sure but very limited in features compared with this unit. The 4300 had a few more features but this is FM. I can not tell the difference between one tuner or another. Look, if you want great AM/FM, put your $$$ into an expensive roof mounted antenna, your wasting your time with the tuner, they can't perform magic. I own the C370 integrated amp, an excellent product but I almost didn't buy this tuner because all of the bad press in this forum, but I'm very glad I did for the reasons stated above. For the price, it is five stars. Buy it, enjoy it, don't be afraid, especially if you have the C-370 because the remote is perfect with it, with NAD link, you can select any bank, any preset quickly, that's 30 stations on the remote, that is pretty cool, the 4300 gave you 16, the 4155 5 or 10 I can't remember but I think only five.

Purchased At:   New on ebay

Submitted by Gary Fostel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Maybe a bit pricey for what you get. This is balanced, in my mind, by the spectacular deal you get with the NAD 370 integrated amp and the tandom of the amp and tuner is better than mixing brands and replicating remote control units.

Purchased At:   Classic Jazz, Holland, MI, USA

Submitted by Keith a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
My strengths and weaknesses sum it up pretty accurately. This blows away the cute little Parasound, and is significantly better sounding than any other product I've used. I wish I owned the NAD 412, but I couldn't find a used one. My main dissapointment is the sensitivity - even with a Terk.

Purchased At:   Saturday Audio Exchange

Submitted by kifer jony a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
hi martin
can you please describe this with rds data saving and blend function
it does notwork on my unit
i am going for rotel soon anyway
regs