Home | Reviews | Tuners | NAD

NAD 4300 Tuners

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by jamjar6 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2007

Bottom Line:
Considering this tuner was made in 1992, and is older than me, it is still sounding brilliant, even with only 2 out of 5 bars reception hooked up to a budget amplifier. Any static is almost undetectable at lower and mid volumes, although I'm waiting to hear the full sound when it is hooked up to the main TV aerial on the roof.
Nearly no problems have occurred with the NAD apart from 2 of the station pre-sets setting at the same time. Which considering it has 8 is not much of a problem, since I only listen to 2 stations. The large display is easy to read from a distance even if you are short sighted like me, as opposed to the newer Dot Matrices. Although just how useful that is without a remote is debatable, but Remote controls can only be expected as standard on newer models.
With patchy DAB reception in our area, and classic NAD minimalism, for the foreseeable future this tuner will certainly still be used.

Purchased At:   Gift

Submitted by positivefiction a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
i was in a pawn shop, looking for a guitar, and stumbled on this tuner. It was listed for 75 dollars, but I walked out with it just 50 dollars lighter in the pocket.

hooking it up initially with some cheap interconnects that came with my dvd player, i figured it was worth it's 50 bucks. It picked up radio stations, which is all i wanted it to do. later on, i traded my cheap carver preamp for a Creek passive, and short on inputs, the tuner went in the garage.

Recently, i picked up a Parasound Halo preamp, and a little later, remembered my little NAD 4300 sitting in the garage. I put it on the rack, connecting it with some better interconnects this time, and turned on the radio.

HOLY GOD! This thing sings!

Reception, as always, was fantastic. But, what I never heard through my cheap interconnects connected to my cheap preamp, was how NICE this tuner sounded.

Music from classical stations sounded lovely, with great weight and nice finesse. Rock pounded away, with not a harsh high to be heard. Pop sounded rhythmic and warm. House and trance pumped away with engaging rhythm, with great distinction between the emphatic thumping beats, and the delicate and etherial sounds interweaving the beat. Female vocalists sounded lively and delitace without becoming brittle or pinched, and male vocal sounded warm and weighty without becoming overly 'chesty' or nasal.

I'm still amazed with how good this thing sounds. I am not audiophilic about my FM reception. I just hoped it would pull down some stations with good reception. It does...it just happens to sound REALLY good, too. Great channel seperation, and great sound. I am completely amazed with how emotionally involving music sounds out of this tuner.

For the fifty bucks I paid, this things a mega deal! If you're in need of a tuner, and happen to see this model for a good price, grab it! I still can't believe how good this plain looking box sounds!

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Submitted by William Early a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have to give it a 4.9 only because it isnt better than the Kenwood, it rounds off some higs, It is dezigned this way to cut down on microphone amp sounds, which it does well, only I ,more feel than hear, that it is filtering off just the the very top touch,like the strike of a triangle, you hear it , still, I have not owned its better for sound , controll, ballance , tonal quality , seperation stedally definable,If it's better is out there I will find it.

Purchased At:   Pawn shop

Submitted by Joe a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is the best tuner that I've ever owned, and one of the better ones that I've heard. It's ergonomically great, simple, and the best NAD tuner I've ever seen. Sounds as good as my old MD FT-11, but RF is better, and is easier to use. If you see one of these on the used market for under $260, pick it up!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Richard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
Wow.
I used to think a radio was a radio - you know radio's sound crap. So how could a separate tuner make much of a difference.
I repent my sins... for the gospel of the separate components is the way, the light, and the path to salvation; amen.
Yes the tuner is wondeful... i can't imagine not having it now. The sound has such depth, at times i feel as if i'm sitting in the studio when they conduct interviews. Classical radio is brilliant. NPR is good thing, to paraphrase Martha.
The 4300 has the best flywheel tuning knob, presets, signal strength and tuning helpers - making it a well rounded little performer.
I would also like to thank the other 2 reviewers below for their great assistance in guiding my purchase.
Yep i like it. Ebay is a great place to spot these rare numbers - good price under $200.

Pros and Cons of Marantz SR 4300

Ok My parents are staying with me as room mates for the next couple of years. Mother is hard of hearing and has tried those wireless headphones...which was a dismal unit. Uncomfortable and the batteries after 24 hours of charging last a pathetic 4 hours. Anyway I figured she could have my Sony ... Read More »

Premier Mounts: