McIntosh MR80 Tuners

Submitted by FM maniac a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought my MR80 used 18 months ago and I just love it. I used to have a Technics ST-G7 and I can say that the ST-G7 doesn't even come close to the MR80 in sound quality ( despite what is written on a certain FM tuner website). I also had a Mcintosh MR500 FM tuner. I have listened to a lot of tuners in my life. Also, I am not a DXer. I live in a big city where there is about 20 FM radio stations that come in very strong with one transmitting 307000 watts! So I don't really know about the MR80's capability to receive distant stations.The reception in big city is excellent. There is a station that broadcast pre-recorded live jazz and classical concerts regularly. The sound is amazing through my MR80. I know because I regularly go to live jazz and classical concerts. Except for the acoustic bass, in jazz concerts, all other instruments are not amplified. It is an ancient small chapel converted for music performances with amazing acoustics.. So I know how live music sounds like. The MR80 really sounds lifelike and that's how it should be. Also it is one of the best looking in my opinion.

Purchased At:   Audio Classics

Submitted by bjm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
I owned and used my MR80 on a daily basis for a little over two years. It replace a Magnum Dynalab FT101a, and though the Mac is much more sensitive, is able to hold signals tighter and is just a gorgeous piece of electronics, I prefer the Magnum Dynalab for overall sound quality. This isn't a knock of the Mac---just that the current technology is better than my unmodified MR80.

Purchased At:   Private

Submitted by Kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
Don't write reviews often but, unlike the previous reviewer, my unit has been kept up well and is in good operating condition. Just hate it when people give bad reviews to what everyone knows is an excellent tuner based on a bad dealer experience (please post on "audio survey" instead).

Everyone knows this unit and it's predecessor. The performance measurements are solid and it locks on like a bull terrier. With the proper upkeep, it will easily keep pace with the best of today. Most importantly, it sounds great and with the resurgence of "low power," it will hear what 80% of todays tuners can't. If it's good enough for the DX'ers, it's good enough for me.

4 stars on the value for price on used market.

Submitted by Glenn a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
Purchased an MR-80 that had been overhauled by Audio Classics and never was able to get the presets to hold stations effectively. Also, the tuner did not get and hold stations nearly as well as any of the other products I have listed. However, it was great to look at if you like the McIntosh look, which I do. But, I am in it for the sound so no longer have any Mac equipment. It just doesn't sound that good to me. Even after two years and five figures ($) of trying. With one exception. The MA-6850 integrated amp did sound wonderful. I would not hesitate to own another one. I am currently listening to a Luxman T-88V analog tuner and it is great. FM sounds right with it. Not as good as the better LPs or CDs, but really nice to listen to. If you are a long term listener, the MR-80 is not for you. Unless looks are more important than the sound. The MR-78 and older tuners are all better sounding if you want Mac tuners. But The other tuners I listed above all sounded better than the MR80.

Purchased At:   Audio Classics

Submitted by Mike Dodson a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
I had a MR-78, bought new in the 70's. Sold it for a Nakamichi ST-7. Regretted it ever since. Bought a MR-80 early this year. The technology of this tuner (for it's time period of manufacture) is superb. Although in truth an "analog" tuner, the 80 has a digital station readout and 5 presets (4 via buttons, and 1 "bonus" preset used by just touching the manual tuning dial ). The touch/feel of the controls is typical Mcintosh. Silky smooth and precise. Sonic and FM performance is as expected with a classic vintage Mac tuner, (fantastic; if just a bit "warm").

The 78 has theoretically better performance in the Wide mode; the 80 only has Narrow or Super Narrow. I have access to both the 78 and the 80 now, and I must tell you I can't hear any differences. Perhaps the 78 would be superior sonically if I was able to listen to a truly outstanding station (WMFT or something similiar). The funny part is, some of the very best stations are in markets that are very crowded, FM wise. So, use of the "Wide" mode on the 78 might be problematical anyway.

In sum: My first choice would still be a 78, but this 80 is a very close 2nd place.

PANAMAX: