McIntosh MR78 Tuners

Solid State FM Tuner with Variable Selectivity

Submitted by Tony a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
When I bought it, it needed a new faceplate glass, and replaced it. After a good cleaning and recal.,It performed at expected specs. Can pull stations in at long distances and performs better when you have a outdoor ant. and "beam" it in. Great classic styling and functional. I remember this when it 1st was introduced and had a very hefty price on it. In conclusion, very satified on it's performance and style.

Purchased At:   flea market

Submitted by John Devine a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
Wow! now I understand what all the fuss is about I bought this as a collectible and never imagined that it would sound so good I hooked it up and was blown away by the presentation that the tuner gave, detail, soundstage ,depth, truely amazing if more people had these National Public Radio would not have to try so hard to raise funds. I am only sorry that I waited so long, all you need to do is turn that perfectly balanced tuning wheel and you are hooked that's the way it is supposed to feel Thanks Mcintosh Thanks Nick

Purchased At:   the Stereo Shop Hart

Submitted by rudy toth a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
to some spending 1500 on a seems
crazy but to sum up my mr78 it sounds better than alot of mid level cd players
ive heard

Purchased At:   audio classics

Submitted by joebone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I echo the praise from the other reviewers. This unit is very flexible in pulling weak stations, and has an overall dynamic and timbral 'oomph' to its sound quality that you just don't expect from a tuner. I wouldn't say it sounds like my turntable or cd rig, being perhaps a shade on the warm side, and having to contend with whatever is coming over the airwaves. But it is great fun, especially with acoustic jazz/classical and choral music. And boy, does it make compression effects all too obvious! A wonderful unit...perhaps I'll someday get it together to ship it to Audio Classics in New York, where I understand the original designer performs upgrades....

Submitted by George O'Gar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased this tuner from a friend in Tucson for $750.00 U.S. It was fairly dusty and the bezel was hanging off. I would have rated the condition as 5.5 out of ten. I sent the unit to Audio Classics for the Modaferri Modification. It came back a perfect 10, except for the -55db light which appeared to have either been burned out, broken, or just overlooked.
The selectivity of this tuner is superb. I was able to recieve a classical FM station 150 miles away using an indoor antenna (Magnum Dynalab ST-2). I used the -22db selectivity mode while also using the filter in mode 2. Both fidelity and clarity were unsurpassed.

Purchased At:   Private Party