McIntosh MR67 Tuners

4.7/5 (10 Reviews)

Tube analog Tuner

Submitted by kfl611 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
Mcintosh mr65b and mr55a. I paid around $400.00 for the mr65b and $350.00 for the mr55a. The mr65b sounds very lush and rich and looks new, really a very pretty radio. After it plays for about 15 minutes I sometime have to slightly retune some stations, then after that its rock steady, as far as drift goes. The mr55 for mono is very very detailed I can hear people breathing - the announcers breathing and if they say a word like porportion I can hear the 'pah' sound of porportion very clearly. I love both these radios. They are original and work flawlessly, not bad for 50 + year old radios. If you can get one in goof shape buy one. The mr65b says mr 65 on the glass face plate but mr65b on the model no one the back of the chassis.

Submitted by JimmyBlues a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2008

Bottom Line:
Actually, for the past several months I had been looking for an old Mac tube tuner and had lost a bid on a beautiful MR-71 with walnut cabinet, which ended up selling for just under $700.

I went the Audio Classics Website and began to do more research on these grand old tuners. What I found was interesting. Audio Classics, the premier used McIntosh equipment dealer on this planet, had a decent amount of information on the vintage MAC tuners ranging from the MR-55 to the MR-71.

I was all set to go for either an MR-67 or MR-71, when I saw some information on the MR-65B. As it turns out, this was the first stereo tuner built by McIntosh back in the early 1960's.

And, it is also by quite a large margin, the rarest of the MAC stereo tuners, with only 1600 built. Only the MR-65 & MR-66 mono tuners had lower production numbers, and then, not by much.

Not surprisingly, Audio Classics also gets quite a premium for the rare MR-65B; $2000 for one which has been serviced and is in good cosmetic condition. One might only imagine what an MR-65B in absolutely pristine condition might fetch, since at $2000, the MR-65B is only a few hundred dollars less expensive than a Marantz 10B in good condition -- and the the 10B sold for twice as much as the MR-65B in its day. However, the 10B, is not nearly as rare.

Over the past week, I took delivery of a beautiful MR-65B, which I have thoroughly enjoyed. The MR-65B has a sound very similar to the 10B which I owned more than a decade ago - a very lush and articulate midrange, which is nver fatiguing; and motivates to liisten for hours on end.

You can see a photo of this tuner on my Website:

As for the older MAC tuners, in my opinion they are all beautiful works of art; whether you own an MR-55 or 55A; MR-65 or MR-65B; MR-66; MR-67 or MR-71.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by possem a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2005

Bottom Line:
I Pick up The MR-67 at a tag sale in 1974,It was working but the lady,said she was tried of it, I"ve been using it ever since,with a mc5100,About Two years ago I had Audio Classics redo it, cost me about $1000.00, But well worth it Sounds Better than New! I Sometimes keep it on 24hrs for two or three days It the best tunner I've ever Had,I"ve own at least ten Different tuners.

Purchased At:   A Yard sale,Tag Sale

Submitted by jlogan45 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
Previous comments from other reviewers are correct without a doubt. Listening to your favorite broadcast on an MR 67 is essentially a guarantee that you will wreck your underpants in your listening chair. Lay down a moist towel or some plastic. I'm looking forward to having audioclassics.com do a Modaferri modification and will report back the differences. I don't know if it is solely the tubes or the analog circuit design or some magic in between, but the CDs have been gathering dust ever since I plugged mine into the wall.

Purchased At:   Christmas gift

Submitted by Jim Tiemann a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
Read my older review, it is still valid.
After owning the tuner for a few more years, and countless hours spent listening, I have to say that it has the uncanny ability to make broadcast sound better than cd. WAY better. Drop your jaw and get lost in the music better.

Really