Marantz ST-6000 Tuners

4.43/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

60 AM/FM presets

Submitted by bkbonham a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2004

Bottom Line:
What can you say about an FM signal? Subject to so many external challenges. This tuner is an excellent value. When you have great cd player and turntable, while pay more for FM? This tuner does what it is designed for and that is bring in a signal worth listening to. The build quality far exceed it's price point and that's my point.

Purchased At:   gold sound denver co

Submitted by Audio Phile a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
Yeah yeah, we've all heard it before. Buy a 70's vintage tuner because they're cheap and they sound the best. Well maybe so but I own a 70's vintage tuner and although it sounds OK, it also has marginal selectivity and adjacent channel rejection. Besides, who wants to plunk down a couple hundrend dollars on a 'collectable' 70's vintage tuner that is probably out of alignment, needs a bunch of old capacitors replaced, and probably a couple light bulbs too. Besides, I need a full funciton remote control with memory presets because my big lazy American ass doesn't like getting off the sofa to change stations.

OK then I'll get to the meat of this mini review by first stating that I have owned a number of tuners over the years including some so-called 'high-end' models like the Fanfare FT-1A and Magnum FT-101a. I also had the Adcom GFT-555ii, Parasound Halo T3, and now the Marantz ST6000. I'm in a suburb of a major metropolitan area with no problems receiving nearby stations with any of these tuners. I rank them here purely on sonic performance, not under weak signal conditions. I'm using an outdoor Fanfare whip antenna mounted just 8-feet off the ground in the back yard:

1) Magnum FT-101a (best overall)
2) Parasound Halo T3 (nice soundstage)
3) Marantz ST6000 (rich deep bass)
4) Adcom GFT-555ii (very good, better than NAD)
5) Fanfare FT-1a (compressed + rolled-off treble)

What? The $1500 USD Fanfare FT-1a at the bottom of my list? Yep. And I put the Parasound only slightly above the Marantz because it seemed a little more open with perhaps slightly better stereo separation giving the illusion of better defined instruments and vocals across the soundstage. Contrary to what others have written about the Marantz ST6000, it is NOT weak in the bass. In fact, it is stronger in the bass than many of the tuners I listed while still being nicely extended in the treble w/o a hint of brightness. I like the sound a lot. The FT-101a seemed more accurate and transparent across the board but w/o a full function remote and presets my lazy American ass got tired of getting up out of the sofa every time I wanted to change stations. Don't even get me started on the Fanfare. That thing was compressed dynamically with rolled off treble giving it a 'warm' midrange emphasis that I couldn't stand. So much for Stereophile's so-called 'class A' rating. I thought it was the worse of the bunch. At less than $300 USD I feel strongly that the Marantz ST6000 is by far the best value. The Parasound lists for about $600 USD but the Marantz has a much better user interface with more useful features like the digital signal strength readout, clock, and 90-minute off timer (selectable in 10-minute increments). It also has wide and narrow IF filter settings that might come in handy for picking out the weaker stations.

I just happened to stumble upon this Marantz ST6000 while visiting an audio store I had not visited before. The owner let me take a demo unit home for audition and I rushed back that very afternoon to buy a 'fresh' one for $279. A real bargain given it's stellar performance.

Associated equipment used in evaluating the tuners:
Conrad-Johnson Premier 18LS Solid-state preamp.
Conrad-Johnson Premier 11a tube amp.
Tannoy Definition D500 speakers.
Cary Audio CD-306/200 CD player.
Kimber KCAG silver interconnects.
Analysis Plus Oval 12 speaker cables.

Purchased At:   Gold Sound Denver CO

Submitted by pmaraujo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
Eu comprei o ST 6000, porque eu queria escutar uma rádio que fica uns 200 km da onde eu moro, esta rádio em minha opinião, é a melhor rádio do Brazil, só toca Rock clássico ( Kiss FM ). O st 6000 realmente é muito bom não tenho nada a reclamar....

Purchased At:   Oguri audio e video

Submitted by shortymutant a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a great product! I read lots of reviews (it's won a number of UK 'best buy' awards) before springing for the ST6000 and I also checked it out in one of the large Hifi stores. I bought it on-line from Qed-uk for £133 (approx $186).

I am using it with an indoor antennae (I also have an outdoor rig but this is yet to be routed to the hifi), connected to Audiolab amplification and Mission speakers. The tuner needed to blend with other items inc Michell Gyrodec, Marantz CD11, Nakamichi LX3, so it's gold finish suited me fine although you can also buy it in black.

I don't think you could ask for more features at this price: 2 switchable antennae connections, full RDS, switchable IF bandwidth, clock and timer, loads of presets and digital signal strength.

Soundwise, the results so far have been excellent. This tuner presents a convincing soundstage, with lots of detail making it a very enjoyable but relaxing 'listen'. I listen to a lot of pirate radio as well as reggae, jazz and radio theatre and even though performance depends on the signal quality available, the ST6000 does very well with the aerial wire that came in the box.

This product looks the part, is easy to use and sounds great. I think it is very good value for money.

By the way, get rid of the phono cables that come in the box and buy some decent ones (say, Ixos or Cable Talk).

Purchased At:   QED-UK

Submitted by Chuckd55 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is my comparison to the Fanfare FT-1 to the Marantz ST6000. I auditioned both in my house. First consider the basic problems with FM: 1) frequency response only to 15kHz. 2) Radio stations use a computer CDP, not a $4,000 Meridian 588-24, 3) Solar flares (in daytime) and other crap in the air blocks reception 4) Most stations compress the signal, I’m not sure of dynamic range but which limits S/N ration to 75 dB vs. 100 dB for a CDP. So I agreed that a good antennae is 90% of getting good sound. The other 10% is about all that a tuner has to work with.
This was a good learning experience for me of high end hifi versus mid-fi. I would compare the Marantz to a Camry while the Fanfare is a Lexus. The problem is the speed limit is only 65 so even if the Lex can do 140 it’s unuseable. Most hi-end seems overdesigned to get the last few percent but it’s barely audible for normal use. First impression was that the two were virtually identical in sound quality. I had to use the “hi” output on the Fanfare (I can’t tell diff between “Hi” and “Low” on FT-1) but even then the Marantz was still 2-3 dB louder. This made it virtually impossible for me to tell if the Marantz was brighter or if it was the volume level. But if it was brighter, the Marantz brought out cymbals and sibilants more than the Fanfare. Even if true, I did not find it annoying or fatiguing like I have with some Japanese amplifiers. Also, I’m assuming that because the Fanfare cost more its sound is more “correct”. Maybe the Marantz was slightly clearer due to its slightly better reception and not slightly “brighter”. HiFi Choice said the Marantz was weak in the bass. But the specs say 20-15,000 Hz for the Marantz and 30-15,000 Hz for the Fanfare. So maybe HiFi Choice calls the Marantz’s balance bottom-weak and I call it bright. Either way the “fault” was barely audible. Bass extension for both tuners sounded equally powerful, weighty and dynamic down to the 40Hz my system is capable of.
I had a Fanfare FM-2G on the roof and a Terk wedge indoor amplified antennae. The Fanfare required the FM-2G on weak (23 dB) stations. The Marantz sounded about as good all the time with indoor or outdoor antennae. But the Terk required a LOT of playing around with aiming. On powerful (50 dB) stations, both tuners worked comparably well with the indoor (once positioned optimally) or outdoor antennaes. For both tun

Purchased At:   Local dealer