Marantz ST-17 Tuners

3.88/5 (8 Reviews)

Marantz audiophile tuner

Submitted by sternum a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
The ST-17U is the updated 2003 model that improves Stereo decoder and overall sound improvement.A card remote control is added also.Beautiful velvet tubelike Marantz sound. Life like sound on live FM broadcasts. 55db Stereo seperation and deep soundstage. Deep bass and twinkling highs. Took over a week of constant use to fully break in. Best sound I have ever heard from a FM Tuner. Close to a good CD.

Purchased At:   Music Direct

Submitted by Rich a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
The tuner is very heavy and has good build quality, that is about all it has going for it. On the down side, the tuner lacks a signal strength meter and it sounds only fair in FM. The AM reception is terrible (they should not even include it). Even worse, the Marantz has a major design flaw. It offers 60 channel presets, however, if you do not use the tuner frequently it can and will lose all the present settings (every 6-10 weeks). This has happened on two ST-17 tuners and Marantz will not acknowledge they have a problem - they will not do anything to correct it. Beware; Marantz customer service is very poor. I purchased the Marantz ST-17 to replace a 20-year-old Sony ST-J75. It turns out the old Sony sounds better and still works perfectly – I kept it and sold the Marantz.

Purchased At:   Douglas TV

Submitted by halfnelson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
When I decided to replace my ageing tuner which just stopped to work, the ST17 was the obvious match for my PM 17 mk2, and not just for styling reason. It also shares the PM17 fundamental sonic qualities allied with an impressivelly strong and clean signal reception : transparent, neutral yet warm sound rendition from every good radio station your location would allow you to pickup. The slight tendency of the sound to be cold/ bright due to poor rejection of the 19Khz pilot tone(as reported by Hifi Choice)is not obvious to me and this might depend on the local broadcast policy and rules of each country. On the other hand , I can easily hear the tricks applied by some radio station technicians who « blow » rather than broadcast their musical program such as enhanced unatural stereo effect, heavy compression, EQ, ect… but if the radio station and program are good enough , the ST17 would easilly recreate live concert condition in your listening room.
I currently use the supplied T shape wire antenna taped directly on the window glass and hidden behind curtains (WAF) and this works fine for me, even better than « state of the art » so-called indoor antenna ST2 Magnum Dybalab !
And while I reckon this is not perfect, I wish someday I could try the ST17 with proper outdoor aerial set up in order to give this excellent tuner its full justice. But for the time being, at least , I can now really enjoy the sound quality available from good FM broadcast.

Purchased At:   Music Hall

Submitted by Ben a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
Great sounding tuner . Very warm and musical sound quality.
It is very good builded , and looks very good.
The gyro touch tuning system is very pleasant to use . I'm
very happy with this tuner and wouldn't think of using/or
bying an other.

Submitted by Kayla a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
I auditioned this product in my home. The reception was even worse than one my 15 year old Kenwood rack system. The sound quality was just ok. Many stereo stations only cam in in mono. I really wanted to get a tuner with a remote and presents but when I auditioned the Magnum dynalab I never knew that radio could sound that good. The Marantz was terrible! The worst!

PANAMAX: