Magnum Dynalab FT-11 Tuners

4.44/5 (9 Reviews)

Analogue FM tuner

Submitted by trehane a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2009

Bottom Line:
Found this in a thrift shop and wasn't familiar with the name. Did a net search and realized it had great potential. Mine sounded great but drifted off station very badly. Sent it to MD for a $75 refurbishing and it's now as new.

I have vintage equipment, tube amps, tuners, turntables and cd players. This tuner is new by my standards. I listen to jazz, classical, New Age, easy listening. Some rock but that is less often. This tuner is definitely better than any of the tube tuners I have. I am fotunate to have strong local stations within easy reach. Not interested in looking for distant stations. I considered adding en exterior antenna but decided to try vintage rabbit ears mounted on top of an armoire in the living room, in among a display of dried bullrushes etc. The bunny ears definitely improve the clarity of the signal so I am sticking with that solution.

I can't compare this to high end tuners - this is as high end as I have ever gone. I consider myself a bottom feeder when it comes to audio. My objective is to find as good a system as possible without using paper money. My B system is a $100 package consisting of Eico HF81, Fisher 90B, Systemdek IIX, Dynaco A25XL, stands, Pioneer cd. A system is an HF81, Yamaha NS1000X, Thorens 126 II, Nak Music Bank and MD FT 11. Other than the speakers, all compoinents were $5 - $50 each.

This tuner exceeds anything else I have owned. I am very pleased with it. I was very pleased with the service MD offered. This tuner is much more like listening to cds than to radio. Nice soundstage, clear crisp sound. I may buy another even if I have to pay a normal price for it. I see ebay has had a couple in the $200 range again recently. Hmmmmm - that will mean paper money but.....!

Purchased At:   thrift shop

Submitted by beken a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
How good this tuner sounds has already been stated by others (excellent) but I would like to mention the service from Magnum Dynalab. The tuner has been sounding rather fuzzy the last while and I felt either there was something wrong with the opamps or the tuner section was going off alignment. The tuner section and switches being the more obvious because they are the only actual moving parts in the unit. I emailed Magnum Dynalab for a schematic as my unit is out of warranty and they sent back that for $75 + shipping, they will fix it to good as new including re-aligning the tuner. I find this to be a very reasonable price. I found out that MD has a lifetime service policy on all their tuners. Good show, MD.

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
I am total suprised that the FM stations I've been listening to for so many years could sound this good. It wasn't unti tilI got some new Dunlavy speakers that I noticed how great this tuner sounds. The soundstage is pretty good depth-wise, but my speakers are placed about 10' apart and the side-to-side soundstage of the tuner is maybe 5' - but I bet this is an artifact of the stations I listen to (or the rather cheap interconnects I'm using) - not a problem caused by the tuner.

BTW, I never use the presets - its easy to remeber your favorite 5-10 radio station freqencies. I love this tuner!

Associated equipment:
- Dunlavy SC1
- Audiolab 8000S
- Audiolab 8000CD
- Rega Planer 3 with Rega Elys & Black Cube

Submitted by Eduard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
I own this tuner for four years now and I am very hapy with it. I did not want to buy MD FT-101 for financial reasons for I listen to CD's and LP's as major source. However, after purchasing this tuner I found myself quite often listening to live jazz broadcasting. Even it is not as sensitive as old Onkyo Integra tuner, it definitely sounds more realistic. Very pleasant product. Well done Magnum Dynalab!

Submitted by Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
Have had the pleasure of using the 11 for a while. Also had a 101 and a 101a in the house at the same time. I have to admit that MD makes some great tuners and I have enjoyed the 3 I had. IMO of the MD tuners the 101 101a and 11 are all pretty close in performance. Subsequently I have sold my 101 and 101a. Sound quality and features for the buck this is the best of the lot. Wow ... do not complain about not too many presets on this thing!!!!. For twice the price you can get a 101 or a 101a and get NONE. At least the 11 has 3 for your favorite stations. Alas to the contrary of a previous reviewer the 11 cannot be found for $200.00 anymore. Too many people have evidently found out what a great value this little MD is and they are usually around $300.00. Still a super tuner for the $$. Built to last also.

SFLAT: