Fanfare FM FTA-100 Tuners

8 AM/FM presets XLR/RCA outputs

Submitted by JohnnyElectron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
In my opinion, this AM stereo tuner is the best on the market, and proof that high quality AMAX AM tuners such as this would render IBOC / HD radio a needless expense. The FTA-100 proved that well-engineered spectacular analog AM stereo audio is still being broadcast over a number of quality-minded AM stations, and can be fully appreciated when using an AMAX tuner of this caliber. In addition to the AM section, I’ve yet to hear another FM tuner with the winning combination of non-existent background noise while maintaining such a high FM sensitivity. The Fanfare FTA-100 tuner truly makes ‘listening to the radio’ fun again.

"Following a thorough examination of its construction and being an engineer (electrical) one of whose hobbies is avid radio DXing, I was anxious to give the FTA100 a good workout." For my AM testing I connected a (Radio Shack) loop antenna, quite similar to the Terk AM loop antenna. For my FM testing, I utilized a standard FM dipole antenna.

I had so much fun with the AM section of the Fanfare that I nearly forgot about the FM section! After tuning in several FM stations I was convinced that the FTA-100’s FM section is so crisp that it would serve well for both the studio as well as audiophiles.
I was impressed on how well they filter out the SCA hash that you can hear on lesser-built tuners during quiet classical passages. When all 5 signal strength LEDs are illuminated, you are in for a real treat in terms of low-noise, high sensitivity and decent dynamic range on FM, as evidenced by a local classical musical station's broadcast of a live concert. The two-position bandwidth helps sort-out close-spaced fringe stations with ease. I have no complaints about the Fanfare FM section whatsoever.
Another engineering observation was that even after several consecutive hours of use, there were no ‘warm spots’ on the case – to me a very important bonus if you are rack-mounting this baby. In addition, the FTA-100 unit I used powered-up in just milliseconds, and right on frequency as I detected no audible frequency drift. The specifications listed in their well-documented owner's manual all appear to be accurate, except I believe that Fanfare has been too modest with the incredible level of stereo separation you can receive from AM stereo stations on the FTA-100.

Last but not least, the Fanfare FTA-100 has a unique 'Uniset' preset pushbutton system. In addition to presetting the receiving frequency, the unit also recalls your bandwidth and stereo settings - very nice. In summary, the Fanfare FTA-100 is a wonderful tuner with which to enjoy wide-bandwidth AM stations, especially the 300 or so broadcasting in stereo AM. The FM tuner performance makes the FTA-100 an easy recommendation for those looking to rebroadcast their on-air FM feed or to hear what they really sound like when they start adjusting their audio processing.

I believe the Fanfare FTA-100 to be an overall great choice of an AMAX stereo/FM stereo tuner that can truly make "listening to the radio" enjoyable again. Let's hope that IBOC/HD radio can achieve the audio quality of the FTA-100 sometime down the road.

In my opinion, Fanfare has come-up with a five-star tuner.

Purchased At:   Direct from Fanfare