Creek Audio T43 Tuners

4.88/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by E. Steinberg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2013

Bottom Line:
My first Tuner was a Creek T40 in the ninetees. It was a gem, albeit a bit fiddly to operate.The stations drifted sometimes, so I packed it away and forgot the little thing.

A couple of years later i rediscovered the sound quality of the T40 (but as well the little inconvieniences in operating).

Then I picked up a Creek T43 at ebay for about 100 Euros. The T43 has the same kind of presentation as the T40 but ist much more comfortible and sounds even better. It “packs” the stations and keeps them firmly, much more than its older brother. Connected via a DNM solid core rca-din interconnect into a Naim entry level pre-power amp (Nac 122x + Nap 150x) it shows its qualitys.

It gives a very good level of details, a bit less than the Revox B760 but is as enjoyable. The music comes as a whole “thing”, is spacious and “real” without artificialty.

You can listen to heavily compressed stations. Their lesser quality is clearly shown but not too much. The uncompressed radio stations are a lot better, with much more details, spaciousness and openness.

It suits even more upmarked systems without burning a hole in your pocket. If you are in for a fine little tuner, the Creek T43 is worth to look after.

Submitted by david w 12 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
I agree with everybody, it looks very aerage, small very light and cheap looking. Who cares, for the price and a lot more,everything is there. Great stereo imaging and tonality,detail .It sounds detailed but smooth. In fact an analogue sound, which is why we listen to th radio rather than CD

Purchased At:   soundandvision Glasg

Submitted by Terry Richards a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
As a follow up to my previous post, I found the problem with the warming up period. It was a dry solder joint on a resistor on the PCB. It's quite an old tuner so things like this do turn up. After re-soldering the joint in question the tuner sounds even better now, it's more focussed, more detailed and has even more weight and impact. Reception also seems slightly better.

Definitely the best tuner I've ever heard!

I'd give it 6 stars for value and overall, if there was an option!

Submitted by Terry Richards a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'm actually using a T40, which was the previous design. Unlike the T43, it only comes with a tuning knob and no pre-sets.

This is an unbeleivably dynamic sounding tuner. In fact it manages to sound very relaxed and dynamic at the same time, which is a neat trick, and probably accounts for the non-existent listening fatigue. It has a very solid bass and beautifully clear melodic midrange. All the strands of the music seem to have a totally independant existance, so you never have to strain your ears to hear something.

Now for £75 GBP I'm really happy with this tuner, but it does have a noticable mechanical hum coming from the transformer. I found that slightly loosening the lid helped here, so I can put up with it. I might experiment with rubber washers under the transformer, but I can live with it for the time being. The only other problem is the warm up time. It takes at least 15/20 minutes to start sounding good and I suspect that being over 12 years old, the smoothing capacitor might just be on its way out. If I get the time I might replace it with an Elna Ros cap and see if it clears the problem up.

This tuner will definitely keep me going until I eventually consider going over to digital radio.

Purchased At:   private classified add

Submitted by daniel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
When i first got the T43 Creek Tuner i have to admit i was preparing myself to write a negative review, based on the fact how could such a small, cheap looking Tuner sound good.

I set it up and was blown away! I remarked to myself, "wow, this little guy sounds great, how could that be?"

I have owned several decent tuners, MD Etude, Linn Kudos, and even the well reviewed Rotel RHT-10 all i might add are 2 to 3 times the price of the Creek, but the Creek stood toe to toe with them all and actually does a better job in the low end.

If your looking for a great sounding tuner and dont mind that is not up to par cosmetically as perhaps the Magnums and dont want to pay a fortune you owe it to yourself to listen to the Creek T43. You wont be dispointed.
By the way i am using a MD ST2 antenna mounted indoors.
also a great product! and i think ill add a MD signal sleuth for fun and see how that improves it.

Purchased At:   Local Dealer