Cambridge Audio T500 Tuners

3.89/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by Frank Hardly a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
I went through two units of this tuner - both bought new from dealers. Both units were defective. First one had no signal whatsoever, while the second worked at first and then the display went blank and then when trying to change tuning also went dead. Left alone, it would work again. I gave up on Cambridge and bought a Rotel RT-02 and am glad I did, as it sounds much better than the Cambridge.

Submitted by AngeloAdam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a great tuner and a real value for the money. When paired with a good antenna and a strong signal the music sounds marvelously clear, open and rich. Keep in mind the limits of FM radio require strong signals and good antennas, without which you are listening to crap. I compared it to a pre-2000 Rega Radio and it blew it away in it's ability to pick up signals. Anything received in stereo by the Rega sounded very "mushy" so I could only listen to broadcasts in mono. In general, the Cambridge does a great job of picking up signals in stereo and presenting them well. If the signal is not so strong it's stereo/mono blending mode creates a good-sounding compromise. I also like the rotary tuning dial, it's electronic, but helps bring me back to the feel of spinning my old analog tuner's pully-controlled dial. Other tuners in this price range have only small, wimpy- looking tuning buttons. The only drawback is it's lack of a mono switch. There are a couple of stations whose semi-weak, multi-pathed signals would be better listened to in mono since the blend mode often produces annoying static. But I think this problem will be solved when I finally mount my Fanfare antenna outside my house as recommended. This tuner was designed by Michael Creek which makes me want to check out more of his products. Good stuff indeed!

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by S Nolan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Cambridge Audio T500 is probably the best FM tuner for the money. It is worth much more than what I paid for it if you are to judge price for quality. I highly recommend this tuner. This is the same equipment as the Creek t43 that costs about $600, but was re-packaged for Cambridge.

Submitted by MIYAZAKI a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
have just replaced my Cambridge A500 with a Hartley S150 (french hybride integrated amplifier tub-solid state). The sound of this tuner is now fabulous. Compare with similare tuner in the other "audiophile" manufacter and you will find that the T500 is a real bargain

Purchased At:   local dealer

Submitted by Pascal Darasse a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I only listen the FM-band. I connect the tuner to the radio-distribution of my city. I obtain very nice result, specialy with some classical music. It's very amazing to listen to music for which I don't have any CD.

My configuration :

Cambridge CD D500SE - qed qnect II
Amplifier A500
Tuner T500 - qed qnect I
Speakers : Tannoy mx3 - qed original

I will probably upgrade my cables soon (qed silver bi-wiring for instance)

This tuner is not cheap and I cannot compare with other similair producten but I have to say I don't regret the price paid.

3 stars for the value rating but a 5* for the overal rating

Purchased At:   local dealer

Has anyone tried Cambridge Sound. T500 towers?

I am looking for a new system for my basement and had a few recommendations about the CS T500 HT system they sell. I never heard a speaker that contained such a large driver in the main speakers. I was wondering what the sound is like? Compared to others in its price range?Read More »

Atlantic Technology :