Yamaha KX-W421 Tape Decks

Yamaha Tape Deck

Submitted by Fitz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
Old mixed tapes from an extensive vynil collection I don't have any more came to life with this unit -- even ancient recordings (10-15 yrs.+ vintage) which have seen better days -- especially once I used the Play Trim option. And as for original recordings on high quality metal tape, it's like listening to a CD. The motors are silent when running, although there is a noticeable clunk when you finish rewinding or fast forwarding (not important to me).

As I've got the deck teamed with a Yamaha CDC675 and Yammie amp, the setup works even better than I'd hoped for. I don't need anything better than this -- it's an excellent piece of equipment.

Submitted by logiq a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
No fancy disco lights like the new all-in-one stereo systems - thank god!

I started out using standard TypeI tapes and found it
was losing too much volume, so I went on to use some
BASF Chrome II tapes, it tended to lose abit of volume
as well though not as much as the TypeI. But it sounded good.

Then recently tested out the TDK MA TypeIV
it sounds great and has a 1:1 volume, usually i had to
record with extra volume on the other tapes, not with these

oh - back to the Yamaha - it's a great deck, had it for about 6 months now, been working faultlessly. It just keeps
on working and lets you concentrate on the important stuff,
like getting the best recording out of it!

I'ld like to hear what others think is the best
tape for recording on the Yamaha or other tape decks?
sony, tdk, maxell, or others....

regards,
logiq

Purchased At:   Sydney HiFi

Submitted by Darrel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've been recording 'stuff' since I was a little kid (40 plus years ago), and I've never heard such clarity from a tape deck as I have from this Yamaha KX-W421. I used to record strictly on open-reel tapes, because I thought nothing could compare...and at the time, nothing could. All my friends went to cassette machines, and then CD players. I followed suit, as my budget would allow.

I once paid over $600 for a Pioneer single cassette deck because I wanted the "best". The following month, Pioneer released a deck twice as good, half the weight, and more reliable for half the price. I've never bought another Pioneer unit of any kind or category.

I paid $229 for this unit at Brandnamez.com, and I couldn't be happier, both with the machine and their service.

Submitted by Albert Israel a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
I recently the purchased this system and I think it is wonderful. The sound is crisp and recordings are pretty good. With my Yamaha RV-1105 remote I can control this deck and I think it is a very good buy.

BLG CP024: