Technics RS-1500US Tape Decks

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

2 TRACK OPEN REEL

Submitted by bizquick a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
I recently received a rs1500-us from my father-in-law who used to own a couple of radio stations in Texas. Apparently, he used it for production-commercials, songs, etc. It had been in his garage gathering dust for years. I told him I'd put it to use in my home studio. I took it home and cleaned it up carefully.
With only a cleaning, no calibration, I recorded over an old crusty reel he gave me. It sounded awesome!!!Now I have calibrated it and done some minor maintence to it and it sounds even better. I use it for mastering mixes and or giving a little bit of warmth to different instrumentation. If you can find one for under $ 500.00 snag it up. Also I have full out operating and service manuals for it. If any body needs one I'll fax it to you!!! Just contact me at byronbrooks1977@aol.com

Purchased At:   given to me

Submitted by Gary Curtis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I received the Technics RS-1500 15 ips 2 track for a Graduation present.I have taken good care of it over the years.I used it to record rock & jazz bands back in the 80's.I "burned" CD-Rs from these master tapes & people wonder if I had a DAT back then.

Purchased At:   Stereo Discounters

Submitted by Vincent Chen a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 25, 1999

Bottom Line:
Have just upgraded noise reduction to Dbx type 1 noise reduction. I have relagated the type 2 noise reduction unit to the Teac X-10. The Dbx type 1 unit is a rightful match for this deck. A slightly,but more meaningful improvement here. The Dbx type 1 noise reduction unit was designed with open reel decks in mind. The Technics RS1500 still performs well. I must say that the Teac X-10 has better logic control than my RS1500. That aside,the RS1500 is still the serious value 2 track for me at 15ips. Tough act to beat at the price.

Submitted by Vincent Chen a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
AMMENDMENT TO THE SPECS ON THE TECHNICS RS-1500US. SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO AT 15 IPS/38CMS IS 60DB AS IS 7.5 IPS /19CMS. I JUST WANTED TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT. THESE ARE THE MANUFACTURERS CLAIMS.

Submitted by VINCENT CHEN a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 22, 1999

Bottom Line:
Like "Beethoven on the piano,I have labored to produce". As the laquer black paint dries on the replacement side panels,now is a great time to update this review...or part "deux". First of all,the modulation noise from the transport was driving me nuts. I had traced it down to noisy idler bearings,and dirty tape guides just above the pinch/capstan station. The pinch rollers recieved service as well. For a deck that had been just serviced a year ago,this problem seems rather odd to say the least. At any rate,the modulation noise is now silenced. I may now audition the RS-1500US sans the mechanical cocophony. At 15 ips/38cms,the sound is full and clear. The bass response is better than my Teac X-10. The midrange and treble are fine,and free of grit,and glare. However,like most open reels, the signal to noise is only fair to good. Hiss is now banished with the use of my DBX type 2 noise reduction system. When setup correctly,the presentation is very aimable,easy on the ears,less the "hiss". The decks wow and flutter are very low,especially after my cleaning and servicing.When listening to Peter Kater,his piano has good tone,without any souring of the notes that a higher wow and flutter deck would cause. Its pitch and sustain are very realistic here. This deck does voices just fine too. Natalie Cole singing her fathers hits sound just like they should. At 7 1/2,the sound is still very good,though its' treble response is alittle compressed at higher levels,than at 15ips naturally. I am very satisfied with the 1500s' sound overall. It will make some great master tapes once my project studio is complete. One annoying thing this deck does have is,an incredibly difficult to read silk-screen. The control panel is a dark charcoal color to begin with,now the silk-screen is a dark mustard yellow "dingy" color as well. In moderate to low light,reading the control panels script could be challenging. I suppose after time,I will remember every control on this machine like my other decks,but this is definately a gaff here. I would have chosen "white" silk-screen to make the panel easier to read but...Erogomics aside,this Technics RS-1500US is a very capable deck with semi-pro features that will garantee a fine recording. The DBX noise reduction is a great compliment here,and I can't see making a great recording without it. Infinately superior to Dolby "b" or "c". These decks generally sell for around $500.00 on up. Of course these are used. If a great 2 track open reel is in your wish list,be sure to include the RS-1500.

BLG CP024: